Forum Discussion

WiderMouthOpen
Esteemed Contributor
2 years ago

Cox Mobile at CES

Saw this article about Cox Mobile at Las Vegas's CES convention. The big news from the article is that the backbone of the network will be Verizon Wireless. Plans starting at 15$ so looks like they are going after the low laying fruit. It's been available for several months in some markets. Any beta testers out there able to talk about it? Is it like their prior attempt into cellular? Meaning no Iphone? See here for more info on what is available.

6 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Throttle Business Model?  Verizon may be the selling point, but Verizon...as well as AT&T and T-Mobile...reserves the right to throttle Cox customers...as well as other smaller leasers...before their own customers during peak hours.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I use Google Fi which uses Tmobile and have never seen a problem. Then again, all I have used the network is for audio streaming so have never stressed tested it.

beep
      New Contributor II

That’s not very reassuring considering how they treat  customers in Vegas who put up with their constant network issues.  Drove past LVCC last night, all the CES signage is up and it’s pretty busy with activity.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Have you experienced problems with their fiber or HFC network? AFAIK CES is being run on dual 10Gbps fiber connections which is probably run by Cox Business. Completely different animal then their residential work.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

There is a interesting thread on Cox Mobile over on DSLReports if anyone is interested. One thing I learned is they are restricted to only 8 Samsung phones currently.