Forum Discussion

Greywolf22
New Contributor
3 years ago

Cox DHCP will not assign WAN IP address after outage

I’m a Cox gigablast customer (direct fibre into the house to the modem). There was an outage today and was told it was resolved. After multiple resets of the fibre modem, routers, direct connect etc I still am unable to get a new IP address assigned to my modem from Cox. Called into support and was told it requires a tech to come out and was initially told a tech wasn’t available until Sept 2 which clearly doesn’t work. Thankfully the tech was great and got me an earlier date. However is it true that it requires a tech to come out to release and renew an IP address? Is this not something that can be done remotely? As a former network admin myself I can’t understand this.

3 Replies

Greywolf22
    New Contributor

Update. Apparently down again per cox website wish they tech had told me that. Anyway question is still the same

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello @Greywolf22

As you know, to release and renew an IP address does not take a technician. All of our residential internet subscribers are assigned IP addresses, dynamically not statically. If a service appointment is needed it is not to establish or re-establish an IP address, it is for a signal issue. We have no way to give new IP addresses to any of our residential customers. As a network administrator, you probably know the old workaround of unplugging the modem and router for 24 or more hours and then reconnecting it in HOPES to get a new IP address, but you know that is not a guarantee.

I'd really be interested in looking into this for you. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
    CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello @Greywolf22

As you know, to release and renew an IP address does not take a technician. All of our residential internet subscribers are assigned IP addresses, dynamically not statically. If a service appointment is needed it is not to establish or re-establish an IP address, it is for a signal issue. We have no way to give new IP addresses to any of our residential customers. As a network administrator, you probably know the old workaround of unplugging the modem and router for 24 or more hours and then reconnecting it in HOPES to get a new IP address, but you know that is not a guarantee.

I'd really be interested in looking into this for you. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator