Forum Discussion

JMAN3203
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Constant Packet Loss From Cox Node

I've had an issue with packet loss since December, and that's just when I really noticed it. It makes my gaming sessions basically unplayable. I had one of Cox's (contract) service techs come out and he found everything to be nominal. (Mer, ber, etc.) I've been running WinMTR off and on for a couple months now and the results are always the same with anywhere from 5-50+% packet loss at times. I was running a SB6190 modem, and then found out what a turd it is and promptly switched it out for a SB8200, which is my current, and is hooked to a Asus AC1900 router, but I stay hardwired using only my phone with Wi-Fi. I've seen quite a few similar posts, but have yet to see a solution. 

I'm on their Ultimate Plan, and the up/down speeds are pretty on par for the package, and typically little to no issue with ping or jitter. 

The node I always have issues with is:

dalsbprj01-ae1.0.rd.dl.cox.net

This is pinging google at 1/sec with a 64byte packet. https://imgur.com/U5vQZuJ

https://imgur.com/TuT6i7L

https://imgur.com/Jc7Zh5Y

EDIT: And I'll add, I've done just about every possible thing on my end to try and rectify the issue, all the way to buying new hardware to no avail. 

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @JMAN3203

You mentioned being hardwired to the router. Are you able to bypass the router reboot the modem and hardwired a device directly to the modem for testing purposes?

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
      JMAN3203
      New Contributor II

I have tried this with the same results. I might not have paid too much attention, but I don't know which site is which when plugged into the modem, I'll try again shortly.

blind7125
    New Contributor

It isn't packet loss apparently, it's "ping burst" which can feel the same way. Never heard the term before until I looked up the icon that wouldn't disappear on modern warfare.

Ping burst from what I understand is a massive influx of data at a high rate. It's like a hose that won't stop clogging, and every times it's cleaned the massive pressure is released. Either your equipment or theirs is the culprit, most likely them considering I bought entirely new stuff. Their servers can't handle the data, and buffers it, causing your info to be delayed/lost.

The tech was right that he saw nothing wrong, because it's their servers causing a fake packet loss. It's actually a pretty genius scam if deliberate as you wouldn't notice this with most activities. Gaming needs all the packets though, unlike buffering a movie.

JMAN3203
      New Contributor II

I understand the logic behind this, but at 1 packet/sec, I don't foresee that being an issue, I'm by no means knowledgeable on the subject though. It's noticeable on webpages as well, as it doesn't load instantly, but will "hang" for a second or two before it loads a page, but it's fine sometimes.