Forum Discussion

bmurt5
New Contributor
2 years ago

Can't connect to websites

I've been having issues with my connection on my wife's Macbook. Any google websites will load but beyond that, nothing, Can't use our home wifi and have to use a mobile hotspot. The websites take too long to respond and says to check connection (good) and checking the proxy and firewall (not sure). I got it to work briefly by renewing the DHCP lease but that won't work now. I can't see any proxy/firewall settings when I go into modem configuration. Any thoughts?

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What model modem and router do you have? Or do you have a Panoramic gateway? Also, does it happen on all your devices or just the Macbook? Sounds like a issue with IPv6 vs IPv4 traffic. Google is IPv6 AFAIK so maybe you are not getting a IPv4 address. That might be why renewing the IP helped. Can you ping the websites in question?

bmurt5
      New Contributor

It is actually happening on a windows laptop as well. Can't ping, 100% packet loss.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Are you resolving to a IP when you ping? Could be a DNS issue. Try switching to Google DNS to test. For instructions would you want Google DNS for your entire network or just one device? If a device, see here for windows instructions and here for Mac instructions. If it works and want it across your entire network, what model router do you have?

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Try turning IPv6 off on the macbook, and see if you are able to browse. Sometimes there is a hiccup with IPv6 and DNS.