Forum Discussion

Jacksondorf
New Contributor
5 months ago

Cable modem upgrade

If my cisco docsis 3.0 modem is already operating at the speed I am paying for is it necessary to upgrade to the Arris 3.1 cable modem?

Thanks,

• I recommend equipment rental, then you should be offered upgrades on a regular basis and you won't need to question compatibility or service levels.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

What model of Cisco Docsis 3.0 modem are you using, and then I can answer your question. 

Jacksondorf
      New Contributor

Cisco DPQ 3212 

I pay for 200 down, and 10 up and get speeds a bit higher than that. I have no need to go higher. Not all 3.0 modems are equal? Plus the one I have now has battery backup for the phone. The newer one does not.

Darkatt
        Honored Contributor

The 3212 is an 8x4 channel modem, and yes, you need to replace it. It's acceptable if you have the 100 mbps speed, but if you are signed up for a faster speed, replace it as quick as you can. 

It's a telephone modem, if you have Cox telephone service, it's provided at no cost, if not, you are renting the modem, and upgrading will not cost you any more money. Upgrade to the Arris TM3402, trust me you will smile!

And YES, the Arris TM3402 can have a battery installed. You may not be able to get it from Cox though,  https://shop.surfboard.com/arris-touchstone-battery-back-up-for-tm3402-voice-modem-8-hour-battery-sku-1000500/