Forum Discussion

Kingpcgeek
New Contributor II
2 months ago

Adding Yahoo transitioned email to Gmail

Too bad Cox didn't think about us users that use Gmail as their email client.  We are royally screwed.  Cox supports only answer is call Yahoo Premium support.  Who is paying for that Cox?  

10 Replies

• Hi, Kingpcgeek 
    I posted lower in this thread about how to accomplish this, but I'll leave it here for you also. 

I'm happy to report that I have been able to verify that your transitioned account can be added to Gmail by generating an app password in Yahoo mail, then using the POP option in Gmail webmail to add the account.

User name: Your http://cox.net email address
    Password: Generate and use an app password (see the "Generate an app password" section of the article linked below to learn how to get an app password)

Please remember to check the option to leave a copy of your messages on the server, especially if you check your mail in other ways, or plan to in the future. By default POP downloads and removes your messages from the server.
    Refer to https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN36637.html#cont4 for server settings.

• Hi Kingpcgeek 

Thanks for your feedback. You should be able to add your cox dot net email to Gmail by adding an account, selecting the Yahoo option, and following the prompts. Just make sure any part of the setup that requires your email address or username has your entire Cox email address entered. You'll need to agree to let Gmail access your info and then you should be good to go. On mobile it took me less than a minute to add an account and sign into Yahoo and it's working flawlessly.

Kingpcgeek
      New Contributor II

I am not talking about the app.  I am talking about Gmail desktop.  It is impossible to add a cox.net email address using Yahoo servers.  All you receive is "There was a problem connecting to pop.mail.yahoo.com"

Kingpcgeek
      New Contributor II

Your solution is not a solution as I can only view the Cox email on my mobile device.  I cannot view it on desktop Gmail as I have done for the last 10+ years.  But yay, Cox saved some money.  

WM
      New Contributor III

Yep ColleenD There has yet to be a solution for this issue.  Cox has totally dropped the ball here.  Have yet seen way using gmail (through a web browser, call it desktop if you which) to "pop" the yahoo pop server to get my cox.net email.    Maybe instead of Cox paying a few months of premium support, pay someone on Cox support staff to figure this out and let us know.

ColleenD

WM 

Sorry for the delay. I've been working on confirming if this will work, and I'm happy to report that I have been able to verify that your transitioned account can be added to Gmail by generating an app password in Yahoo mail, then using the POP option in Gmail webmail to add the account.

User name: Your cox.net email address
        Password: Generate and use an app password (see the "Generate an app password" section of the article linked below to learn how to get an app password)

Please remember to check the option to leave a copy of your messages on the server, especially if you check your mail in other ways, or plan to in the future.  By default POP downloads and removes your messages from the server.

Refer to https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN36637.html#cont4 for server settings.

Jshauser
    New Contributor

Has anyone been able to make this work with a web browser and GMail?