Forum Discussion

wheafner
New Contributor
2 years ago

10 mbps upload speed?

Is there any plan to ever change these upload speeds?  I read this was a decision that was made to attempt to combat congestion in certain neighborhoods during Covid, but that doesn't seem like it should still be a concern.  500/10 is pretty ridiculously lopsided when compared to other carries, verizon for example, that offer 300/300 plans, or something similar.  Will this ever change?

37 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Just looking at the facts. If you want to compare apples and apples compare Cox fiber to FIOS fiber. BTW, I have FIOS.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Most of the time people are getting information FROM the internet versus sending information, That's why it's lopsided. 

wheafner
      New Contributor

If they are just watching Netflix you're correct.  Some people need more upload and its just a bummer there is no option for it unless you upgrade all the way up to a gig plan

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        its just a bummer there is no option for it unless you upgrade all the way up to a gig plan

Perhaps I am wrong, but can't you still get the Ultimate Classic 300 plan with a upload of 30Mbps as shown here? Oh and sorry if I came off as a Cox fan boy. 

SteveinPhx
    New Contributor

I agree with this post.  10Mbps is not sufficient anymore.  I NEEEEEEEEED faster upload speeds!

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Y? Unless your are video streaming, twitch or the like, even then THEY recommend 5 - 7.4 mbps upload

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

So the rest of the household shares the paltry leftovers while Steven consumes 50-75% during a stream?  This is, if Steven is even getting the 10 Mbps.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

500/10 is pretty normal for cable or HFC. FIOS is fiber or FTTH so it is apple and oranges IMO. If you want higher then 10Mbps then get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem and get the Classic 300/30Mbps plan.

As for when that will ever change, maybe in a couple years when DOCSIS 4.0 comes out.

AAstevens
      New Contributor III

the "classic" 300/30 plan does not exist with cox anymore{so they keep telling me}, found this out when i was unwillingly switched from it to a 500/10 and the refuse to switch me back.