Forum Discussion

COXWifiapp1
New Contributor II
5 months ago

Odd COX Wifi app notification

Sat, 12-16-23, 5:30AM received the following notification on my Verizon iPhone:  "A device called Arris device just connected to your home network for the first time."  Then an Xfinity window popped up.  The window was for "Your Home Network".  The window URL was forums.xfinity.com, the forum message was dated 1-13-22 and said "What is this Arris device that just randomly connected to my network?"

Within the reply to post it said to click this link to find out what devices are connected to my network: https://internet.xfinity.com/connect which I did not click.

COX is my internet provider, my router is Arris, but I have never had an account with Xfinity.  Has anyone seen anything like this?  Any advice on what to do?

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I think this has something to do with the fact that Cox licenses the Panorama/X1 platform from Comcast/Xfinity but I agree; quite strange. I assume you have a TG1682 or TG2472 gateway? Also, I assume you also have the Panoramic app installed on your iPhone? While a answer from a moderator is warranted, if you want to avoid things like this, I suggest buying your own modem and router. Control over your network gives you performance, flexibility and ease of troubleshooting. 

Anyone have a link for when this happened before? Was a year or two ago. Looking for it now.

COXWifiapp1
      New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I have the TG1682 (5years old) and have the Panoramic app installed on my iPhone.

COXWifiapp1
      New Contributor II

So do you think that my issue is related to the recently reported Xfinity breach?  Did Cox give them access to my personal data in this licensing arrangement?  I tried to reset my gateway admin password.  I logged into the admin tool successfully with my 5 year old complex password.  But when I tried to change my password, I typed my old password in and it was rejected because it contains 2 special characters.  My new password does not contain special characters, but I can't successfully submit the change because there's the issue with my old password.  I logged out of the admin tool and was again successful in logging in with my old password containing 2 special characters.  

Is the next option to factory reset the modem/router and go through the activate process I did 5 years ago?  I only use the ethernet connection for my home computer.  If someone had access to my gateway, could they have entered my home computer account already?  I need to pay some bills, etc. and am afraid to log into my bank account.  Who should I contact to figure this out for me?  Is the Best Buy Geek Squad a good source? Yikes!  I don't have any techie friends...

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        COXWifiapp1 wrote:

So do you think that my issue is related to the recently reported Xfinity breach?

Don't know for sure, but it's possible. Maybe a moderator could comment. Would think we would be seeing more posts on the subject if that was the case. If it was me, I would give up the combo that runs Cox's Panoramic platform and buy your own modem and router. Not only does it save you from having to pay monthly for it, but retail equipment is usually better performance and flexibility. It also gives you peace of mind in situations like this. Don't see how Geeksquad could help. Whatever you do, don't pay for Cox Complete Care. They are outsourced and I hear horrible.