Forum Discussion

RobertFairfax
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Is eMTA phone modem required?

Would it be possible to use an ethernet based telephone VoIP adapter with Cox Voice?  Or do you need to use a coax phone modem?  If the phone modem is required and I buy a docsys 3.1 from the cox certified list, will Cox be willing to activate it for voice?

• You will need to use Cox's voice modem for telephone service. You can use your OWN modem for Internet, which is what I do, I have a Cox DPC3212 modem for telephone service and I use my personal DG2460 modem for Internet, though I will be upgrading soon.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

You will need to use Cox's voice modem for telephone service. You can use your OWN modem for Internet, which is what I do, I have a Cox DPC3212 modem for telephone service and I use my personal DG2460 modem for Internet, though I will be upgrading soon.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Just to focus in on what Darkatt said, you can't buy your own voice modem (eMTA) with Cox. They provide you one as a free lease and uses coax. The latest one is the TM3402. FYI you can use a virtual client with their Cox Business Voicemanager, but that is probably beyond what you are trying to do.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Ooma got very high scores on Consumer Reports' 2022 Ratings.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I have Ooma and I agree, it's great. You only have to pay for the VOIP unit and the taxes(6-8$). No subscription for life of the product. Really only use it for the fax machine for work but works great for voice too.