Forum Discussion

Darkatt
Valued Contributor III
2 years ago

Cox's New PW7, 4331 vs Arris DG2460

OK, the tests are in. I upgraded my services and was sent a 4331 modem, I didn't really want. To be fair, since most of my previous hands on testing was on the 4141 modem, (PW6), and this was the new 4331 (PW7), I performed a complete set of tests. I ran tests on it for both speed and for WiFi strength, measured in RSSI using an Android Samsung S22 Ultra and a OnePlus 7 Pro, both running Android 12. I connected a computer via ethernet and ran tests to my wifi laptops, and then reconnected back to my DG2460 Modem, and ran the same tests. at 10 feet away, on 5 GHZ, no difference in speed. On 2.4 Ghz, no difference in speed. At 20 feet away, on the 4331, Tests showed a an RSSI of 17% less on 5 GHZ, and 10%  less on 2.4 GHZ speeds were still similar though a touch slower on the new 4331. At 30 feet away, (And upstairs), RSSI showed a 39% less signal on 5 GHZ. and 28% less signal on 2.4 GHZ. Speed tests however showed a marked difference. On 5 GHZ, I was getting transfer speeds of 91 mbps on 5ghz, and 84 mbps on 2.4, and the same test on the 2460 I was getting 723 mbps on 5 GHZ and since I only have 2 antenna 2.4 GHZ, I got 271 mbps. It's interesting to note, that the 271 mbps was the same speed BOTH modems provided on the 2.4 GHZ  tests for both the 20 ft and on the 10 ft tests. Tests were run transferring a 430 MB file and a 674 MB file from my desktop computer over WiFi to my laptop, and I got similar results with both a windows laptop and a macbook. I returned the 4331 to Cox.

28 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Wow, thanks for all that data. That is exactly what I was asking for in that other thread. So it looks like the 4331 is a dud. What did you get in return? Are you finally going to upgrade to your own router? ðŸ¤“

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

When I decide to upgrade, will probably look hard at the Netgear CAX80. Will make sure I get one that can be returned if after testing I find out it isn't what it's cracked up to be. Whatever I get will have a USB port so I can use a USB drive on it. Either that, or possible an Arris G36, or wait for the G54. Or Docsis 4

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

LOL. You and those combos. However DOCSIS 4.0 does interest me. Any mention of it at CES?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If its WiFi was at least good, Cox would not be able to peddle their Pods.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

That's actually not true. There are people with HUGE houses! Also, if it was true, then you are saying Netgear produced the ORBI to  sell it's mesh by using a less powerful wifi router? What about Google, and TPO link and the others? The pods actually fulfill a required need, people with really large homes require a mesh network. BUT, if the WiFi on the main router was in line with previous devices, then fewer people would need the pods. Also, the Pods are limited for use ONLY with those WiFi modems, so another reason I am not really for them. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

First, you assume everyone to have purchased the Pods live in really large, HUGE house.

Second, you assume I would compare Netgear, Google and the others to the Scamoramic and its Puds.

if the WiFi on the main router was in line with previous devices, then fewer people would need the pods. Also, the Pods are limited for use ONLY with those WiFi modems, so another reason I am not really for them. 

Hence, peddle marketing.