Forum Discussion

davidra
New Contributor
7 years ago

Connecting mesh systems to existing modem/router on Cox

I have (own) a Netgear CG4500BD, N type dual band combo unit. I recently upgraded to 100 MB/s speed, but my coverage is not ideal. I am thinking about adding a mesh system. BGR does not think highly of the Cox Panoramic system. I am considering it, but also considering just trying to add a Google mesh system. I have several questions. 

1. Can I just plug the LAN cable for the new router into the LAN output from the combo unit? If so, do I have to put the unit in bridge mode? I cannot find a place in the controls to do that, and people have been saying Cox blocked that capability. 

2. The combo unit is an N unit, dual band. If I get the unit into bridge mode, and the new router supports AC, would I get AC function? 

3. I have one piece of equipment, a Ring Chime Pro, that requires 2.4 MHz. Using a mesh system, whether Panoramic or Google, will I still have access to a 2.4 band?  

Thanks for any input or prior experiences.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

I have the Cox Panoramic gateway (modem/router combo). I also have a particular area of the residence with lousy WiFi (my room, as it happens). The house had recently been centrally rewired with cat5e ethernet and coax cables running from four locations and terminating in a wall panel, connected to the Panoramic gateway.

For a $179 installation fee plus an extra monthly payment Cox offers "WiFi extenders". I've no idea if they're b/g/n or ac. As it happens I had a 6-year old 'n' model Apple Airport Extreme which I have connected with one of the cat5e ethernet cables in my room. The other end of that cable is plugged in to the Panoramic gateway. In Apple talk this is called putting the Airport Extreme router in "bridge" mode. Since I use my laptop a little more than 10 feet away from it I get superb signal strength (never below 88%). Since the Airport Extreme comes with 4 LAN ports, I use one to feed my Roku, thus eliminating the need to rely on a fluctuating WiFi signal for that device.

Providing your Netgear CG4500BD is a Cox-approved device I would imagine you could configure any *current*, 'decent' (read: not cheap) n or ac router of your choice to work in a similar fashion.

davidra
    New Contributor

Thanks. I've tried two different Cisco wifi extenders (one band and another two band). They work fine but they halve the speed. Maybe the Apple router automatically goes into bridge mode when you plug in a cable, but I'm pretty sure my device (and all others running on Cox) need to have some setting on the device changed to shut off the regular router (and use the Panoramic). Some have said that Cox has blocked the ability for people to do that. Other threads suggest there is a setting in the advanced mode that just turns the wifi radios off and allows the device to work only as a modem. I can't find that setting on my router settings. It would seem to me that unless I can turn that off, my signal going through the cable would be decreased....but I"m not sure. 

• @davidra,

I can confirm for you that are gateways are not able to use bride mode. The firmware prevents it.

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator

davidra
    New Contributor

Great, thanks....saved me some time. I would be willing to pay for the new set-up if I knew the technology was better than was suggested in this article, which sounds like it was written before Panoramic was released. Can you address the current technology you are using?

http://bgr.com/2017/06/13/best-wifi-router-not-cox-anything-else/

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

In order to get *any* device to shake hands and play well with a Cox Panoramic gateway it's essential to know the inherent limitations of relying solely on WiFi with hopes of extending an existing network. In my case, with the Airport Extreme, the signal to it is supplied via cat5e ethernet cable, and *not* WiFi. I have not bypassed the Cox device, merely adding the Extreme to the network via direct wiring. Much as what you have experienced, there will inevitably be a severe reduction of that WiFi signal. Distance, in this instance, is the culprit.

Depending on the integrity of your existing coax, you may be able to provide extended WiFi coverage with acceptable signal strength using a MoCA adapter/device, such as what I presume Cox offers at $179 installation fee plus monthly charges. It's a branded Actiontec 802.11ac Wireless Network Extender with Gigabit Ethernet & Bonded MoCA (WCB6200Q02), available on Amazon, ebay and B&H Photo, allowing you to extend the range of your WiFi network utilizing the coax wiring already in your home.