Forum Discussion

MC72
New Contributor II
8 days ago
Solved

Cox Hot Spot running off my modem

Cox is using my Cox rented modem/router as a hot spot for anyone who parks by my house.  I went to Privacy Preferences and Disabled Hotspot but it still shows up.  It is an unprotected network using ...
    MC72
    4 days ago

Thanks but I know that the homeless is using my box.  He comes in his car every night around 8pm and leaves at 8:30am the next day.  He just parks by our house.   For the last 3 nights, I have been unplugging the modem at 8pm every night (the cable and electricity) and now you can not hook up to the hot spot.   Finally last night he did not come.   

I basically just wrote this post so that others will know of this problem.  Just to be clear to the people telling me to change my password - of course I did that. This homeless man is not using my secure network.  He is using the second network - the open hotspot that COX is running off my modem.  I called Cox twice - no help.  They told me that all the COX supplied boxes run this and there is no way of turning it off.

Anyway, the solution is that I am buying my own modem - I don't care how much it costs - then I won't be running a hotspot for the riff raff.   And this man is most decidedly not a "gentleman" - He pollutes  - I have to pick up all his disgusting trash: toilet paper, clothing, food and about 20 cigarette butts every day.   I can't open my windows because all the smoke comes in.  

I was never told of this "service" running on my subscription and my electricity - this was a replacement box just given with no paperwork when I cancelled my cable.   

Anyway I am getting a my own modem/router. 

Thanks