Forum Discussion

tonyr
New Contributor III
5 years ago

daily reboot during record

too often daily reboot interrupts a scheduled recording losing 5-10 minutes of the show

none of the 2 hour windows that start with even number allows a weekly guarantee of no overlap between reboot time and scheduled recording time

what options are there other than end user manually adjusting the scheduled reboot time every/many/most days?

customer friendly solutions might include, but aren't limited to:

* smart scheduled update that does NOT interrupt ongoing/scheduled recording

** is there any harm in skipping update one day then trying again the next day? 

** if no auto-retry algorithm, when "countour" button next used prompt for need to update

* manual entry of acceptable window of time for cox activity that causes reboot [not just 2 hour windows that start at top of even hour]

* ability to set different window according to day of week

5 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @Tonyr, to avoid overlaps in your recording schedule, we recommend changing adjusting the daily update and reboot window:

www.cox.com/.../managing-contour-2-settings-preferences.html

In the settings, you can change the daily update time. There is no harm in skipping the daily update, however, the updates are necessary as they help to improve the consumer experience. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      tonyr
      New Contributor III

as suspected - the user needs to reset the window each day

trying that for the first time today i found another unfriendly behavior -- when prompted that the update is about to begin, the function does allow to continue, skip [with retry tomorrow] but does NOT allow a last minute check to see if anything is scheduled to record during the update that may or may not include a reboot. Or do all updates automatically reboot??

is it correct to assume that there is zero plan to design/implement anything that is more user friendly?

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Tonyr, I have submitted your feedback to our Video Team that handles Contour guide enhancements and changes. To my knowledge, all daily updates require a temporary reboot to the system. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator