Forum Discussion

jrzcell55
New Contributor
5 years ago

Cloud Based DVR is bad

We have had this cloud based DVR for months now and it is progressively getting worse.  Programs loose sound, jump and skip video. fast forward the timeline moves but the picture lags behind so you cannot stop on the right spot to watch your show.  The program will all of the sudden start showing things that have happened already but when you fast forward you can see what is supposed be going on instead.  I have tried to reset by boxes my modem but it still does this.  Now the program will just STOP playing and give an error message and you cannot restart the program.  I am going backwards and getting the localized DVR and hopefully this will stop the issues with recorded programs.

17 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Macie
    New Contributor II

Beautifully written.  I just copied and pasted this comment.  It is EXACTLY the same problem I have.  I have Gigablast speeds, rebooted cable box, modem, router, anything that will reboot.  Still ** big time.  Im certain the recent price increase will help in fixing this problem.

Art_58
      New Contributor

I am having the same issue. Monday 3-9-2020, about 8:00pm MST Arizona, the program I was watching had the same problems, loss of audio, irregular fast forwarding, jumping backwards & forwards in the program. And after hitting pause , the screen returned to the list of programs recorded & when I tried to resume the show, I had to start from the beginning. My friend who lives 2 miles away was having the same issues at the same time.  I did an live chat, they did a reboot, but the problem exists. They suggested sending out a tech,( I declined), taking to box is & swapping it, ( Also a no on my part, since it's a software/network/cloud issue) & lastly they suggested that I go buy a SATA hard drive to record shows. I started watching the show again & every 30 seconds it would jump forward. Looking at past posts on this forum, this has been a known issue since May 2019. Can you help me & these other customers? I'm in Glendale Arizona & am curious where everyone else is. Thank you.

Macie
        New Contributor II

Im in Tulsa, OK.  It appears to be a "COX" problem.  It seems all of the other streaming companies (Hulu, Vudu, Netflix, etc.) doesn't have a problem sending a signal from the cloud, just Cox.  I have never had DirectTV or Dish, but I'm about ready to give them a try.

Allan
      @Macie, Are you getting any error messages from the box? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Martin12
    New Contributor

Yes, beautifully written. I am experiencing this exact issue as well. I have the IPTV set up. I have the latest Pano modem, and the 4 wireless IPTV boxes. In AZ primetime shows come on too late. We live by our DVR. The show skipping, loss of audio, jumping back and forth between different parts of the show, is something I experience a lot. Especially with Local channel recordings. Fox, ABC, NBC, Etc. 
    We have had to completely exit the DVR recording and stream the show on demand instead. Which normally has pixelation issues And goes against my data cap. 
    Calling tech support was unhelpful. No one I spoke with knew anything about this issue and offered to swap the box or have a tech come visit. 

I need to know a solution. 
    Does the actual box used when creating the series recording rule have anything to do with the quality of the recording since its wireless and my DVR is cloud based? If so, would having an Ethernet connection from the modem to the cable box make any difference? 
    maybe not, cause I could watch the recordings from any other cable box in my home and I will have the exact same issues. The skips, jumps, and loss of audio happens at the same point every time no matter what cable box I’m using. 

It’s the actual recording, not an interruption in the signal sent to the box for playback. 

Allan
      @Martin12, Are you getting any error messages when trying to access the cloud dvr service? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        pvsurfer
        New Contributor

Hey Allan, I'm a brand new Contour2 (ultimate internet) subscriber with the very same issue.  No error messages at all, just very 'choppy' recordings.  This is totally unacceptable.  If Cox doesn't remedy this problem (quickly) I will cancel the service!

Art_58
      New Contributor

Martin12, YES! I too believe it's the recording itself. And yes, I'm having problems with NBC primetime shows recorded Sunday & Monday.

k9smom
    New Contributor II

Oh yeah and I'm getting pretty tired of it, ready to go back to Direct TV even if I have to pay for it.  I just got Cox in November and it has never worked.  

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @k9smom, we're sorry to learn about the ongoing issues. If you don't mind me inquiring, what issues are you currently experiencing with our service? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
  • Hello Jrzcell55, Cloud dvr is highly dependent on the internet service in the home. Are you experiencing issues with playback and picture quality? Also, are you having issues with internet speeds? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      GoKnights
      New Contributor II

It seems like there are SEVERAL people from all over the Country with the same DVR playback problems. This is a problem that COX has to be well aware of. PLEASE fix the problem, please don't ask if there is an error code. The error code is Many,Many people have the same problem.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @GoKnights, we apologize for having made you angry or upset. During playback of cloud DVR recordings, some customers may see an error code display instead of the selected recording, or the recording may see intermittent degradation of video quality. Please let us know if you are experiencing the following error codes during playback:

XRE-06014
        XRE-03091

Aside from the playback problem, we are troubleshooting issues on a case-by-case basis. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Macie
    New Contributor II
    We have had this cloud based DVR for months now and it is progressively getting worse.  Programs loose sound, jump and skip video. fast forward the timeline moves but the picture lags behind so you cannot stop on the right spot to watch your show.  The program will all of the sudden start showing things that have happened already but when you fast forward you can see what is supposed be going on instead.  I have tried to reset by boxes my modem but it still does this.  Now the program will just STOP playing and give an error message and you cannot restart the program.  I am going backwards and getting the localized DVR and hopefully this will stop the issues with recorded programs.