Forum Discussion

roger2007
New Contributor
2 months ago

No longer able to make calls without internet

They installed new equipment and now our landline won't work unless have Internet and power. The phone is being routed through the Internet router which cox is saying is the only option for my area. Prior to the new equipment, if the power or internet went out we still had use of our land line. Recently out power went out and so did the phone. I didn't want this, but went with it because I wanted to stay with cox and they told me it was my only option. There's one elderly person in the house and we have had to call 911. We have a cell phone but if the Internet is out, we won't have a back up since our cox landline won't work anymore; whereas, prior the land line still worked without the Internet or when the power went out. 

If the Internet or power goes out and there's a need to call 911 we won't be able to. I will be filling a lawsuit due to the landline no longer working.

• roger2007, The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox High Speed Internet, Video, or Phone services with other customers. If you need help with billing or other account specific issues, please reach us by phone or email at cox.help@cox.com

Cox Support Forums Moderator

Mike5381
    New Contributor II

Roger telephone service using circut switched technology is dead. This was called POTS Plain Old Telephone Service. All telecom has moved or is moving to packet switched which uses the Internet Protocol. There is nothing you can do to stop progress. I suggest you get  a basic landline phone that is corded and doesn't need power. Also purchase a battery backup for your cox equipment. That way if the power goes out your phone will still work. If Cox' equipment in the streets or poles is the problem then your phone won't work. But that was the same if the phone company's equipment was broke back in the day.