Forum Discussion

Harmony1973
New Contributor
5 years ago

You can't manually update your NETGEAR cable modem routers firmware

Why don't they want you doing this on your own. We can screw up software/ hardware in so many different ways what's the problem with allowing one more. My firmware is sitting at V2.01.26 while the Cox Cox (Approved Firmware) is at V3.01.09. It's such a PIA to screw around with them on the phone. 

C6300 – AC1750 WiFi Cable Modem Router

8 Replies

• The latest Cox-approved version of firmware available for this modem is 2.05.18, which is what you currently have. Customers are not able to upgrade firmware on modems as that comes from whichever provider the modem is connecting to. If you have your own stand-alone router, you would be able to upgrade the firmware on that, but not a modem.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Harmony1973
      New Contributor

Thanks for replying. Your right. Netgear Genie says V2.05.18 not what I wrote  V2.01.26. I have a Netgear Gateway C6300BD. It is a combo modem/ router that I bought from Cox. It is not a rental. Why does this page indicate that the latest Cox approved firmware is V3.01.09 for the C6300 Cable Modem Router and not the old 2.05.18 which I have and you indicate is the latest approved. So if this is a combo modem/ router that I own bottom line are you saying I am unable to update the firmware? Thank you.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-modem-router

BrianM
        I'm not sure why they have V3.01.09 listed there, V2.05.18 is the latest that we offer. They might be trying to say that they have approved us to use that version, but we do not currently offer that version on our cable plant. You would not be able to upgrade the firmware on your own even if you owned a combo modem. I meant that if you had a stand-alone wireless router that was connected to a stand-alone modem, you would be able to upgrade the firmware of the router. Even with a stand-alone modem, the firmware for the modem is still updated by the ISP not the customer.

Brian
        Cox Support Forum Moderator