Forum Discussion

WiderMouthOpen
Esteemed Contributor
2 years ago

Wifi 6E Panoramic gateway.

Just noticed a new gateway on the list of approved modems. The new Technicolor CGM4981 AKA the XB8. It's been on Comcast for a while. Looks like the CGM4331 but with Wi-Fi 6E instead of Wi-Fi 6. See here for internal photos. Seems you can only get one if you have 2Gbps service but can anyone confirm? Anyone seeing these in the wild?

24 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I certainly cannot confirm but my takeaway is if you rent a Pano, you could get one.  I don't feel you'd need to justify with Cox to get one but if you have 6 GHz devices, I'd demand this rental.

This model has a DOCSIS flavor so you wouldn't need a 2 Gig plan because the Cox infrastructure for DOCSIS can't support 2 Gbps.  You could probably get the DOCSIS with any plan.

Did you see the WPS button?  WPS is supposed to make your life easier; however, not only had the manufacturer put the button on the back to make life difficult, but also combined it with the factory-reset feature.

Moreover, to make your life even more difficult, its got the longest press-and-hold time I've ever seen for a factory reset at 1 minute.  Good, lord.  Could you imagine if someone was knocking at your door at the 30-second mark?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      I'd demand this rental

Well I have seen customers here with Essentials being given the Arris TG1682 or the TG2472 so I think service has some effect on what gateway you get. What you can get from haggle with the Cox store rep. is between you and the store rep. It probably depends on what is available and how many.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I wouldn't even haggle.  If I'm renting the Panoramic and have 6 GHz cards in my devices, I'd say rent me this model.  If not, then I'd be done renting and get my own router.  If I'm renting, Cox isn't telling me what I can or cannot rent.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

5ghz has ½ the range of 2.4 ghz. 6ghz, has even LESS range. If the WiFi alliance was smart, they would use the 900 MHZ range. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      5ghz has ½ the range of 2.4 ghz

1/2 the range but greater speed. It's a trade off.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

It doesn't in and of itself have greater speed. The increased speed comes from combining multiple channels at the same time. Bit for bit, 5ghz channels moves the same amount of data as a 2.4 ghz channels of the same width. 

BarryPG
    New Contributor

I have the Technicolor CGM4981 Panoramic modem/router combo from Cox. A local Cox retail store gave it to me about 6 months ago when I was having problems with an Orbi modem/router combo that continually kept disconnecting from the internet.

I understand that the CGM4981 model I have runs wifi 6, not wifi 6E. I called the Cox retail store that gave me the modem/router yesterday (9/20/2023)  to ask if they have an upgraded model that runs wifi 6E and they said they don't have any such device, and that they don't know when one may be released. 

I was curious if anyone here knows if that store was correct and that Cox has no current plans to release a new Wi-Fi 6E version of their panoramic router/modem combo. I'm interested in possibly upgrading as I might be adding a Wi-Fi 6e device.