Forum Discussion

Bill39
New Contributor
2 months ago

What is CoxWiFi?

My computer lists three routes for internet access, 2.4G, 5G, and CoxWiFi.  I use 5G and am happy with it.  The first two are associated with my Arris TG1682G gateway.  But I'm wondering what CoxWiFi is about, in part because it isn't secured.  I assume that it's somehow also associated with the gateway.  Is that right?  I see that a neighbor is on Cox's list of WiFi hotspots but I am not.  Can anyone access the internet through my CoxWiFi port?  Why is a neighbor on the Cox list but I am not, i.e. do you have to sign up for that?  Please don't infer that I want to be on the Cox list.  I'm just wondering what's going on, i.e. does it provide free internet access to my neighbors/passersby or if there are any security implications.  Will my cell phone, not a Cox phone, access the internet through it?

7 Replies

• Hello. It sounds like you are referring to the Cox hotspots. You can find more information about that topic here: https://www.cox.com/residential/internet/learn/cox-hotspots.html

Bill39
    New Contributor

The list of Cox hotspots, also referred to there as WiFi hotspots, is what my neighbor is found on.  I am not.  My Windows system lists three available WiFi networks, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and CoxWiFi (there's also a Hidden Network that I suspect is my ADT security system).  I can connect to the first two networks but not the third (I get a message stating "Can't connect to this network" when I try).  I'm trying to figure out what the third network is about.

My neighbor is a lawyer and I see "Law Office of xxx" when I click on her icon on the hotspot map.  It's at a residential address but she might be working out of her house.  A nearby church has a hotspot on the map.  Also I see another icon at a residential address near me but clicking it shows "xxxx Business Account".  I'm beginning to suspect that the Cox hotspots are all associated with business accounts.  That still doesn't explain what CoxWiFi is on my system.

LaToyaW

Hello.

The Cox Wi-Fi that you see is the hotspot in the area. For example, you can connect to Cox's internet through Cox Wi-Fi.  This feature is only for Cox subscribers who can connect to the free service outside the home . Which requires your Cox user ID and password. It's an additional SSID that is an extension and uses a separate data stream from the one at your home .  Most users who have the panoramic Wi-Fi modem use this feature to keep their own home network secured. Allowing your guest to use the hotspot keeps your Wi-Fi password secured .

Bill39
    New Contributor

I have an Asus EEE netbook that I've previously taken to outside the church hotspot that I mentioned above and was able to connect as you describe, i.e. with Cox ID & password.  However I've just fired it up and it shows the 2.6 GHz connection but not the CoxWiFi network.  It would seem from what you say that anyone with a Cox ID & password could use my network.  Yet I can't access it, either with the computer that I'm using now or the Asus EEE.

ChrisJ2

I believe I understand and I apologize for the confusion. The CoxWIfi network is not your personal network, rather it is a hotspot available to those with no other option to connect and are within range. If you do not see "CoxWifi" listed as an SSID on the list of available networks, then you are either outside of the range of that network or the laptop cannot see it. If you receive the error "Cannot connect to this network" when you try to join, your laptop is likely trying to make a secure connection. The initial connection to CoxWIfi is open and does not require a credential. If your laptop allows the connection, then you will open a browser window and see a portal where you are to log in using your Cox credentials. I hope this helps explain.  

Bill39
    New Contributor

My EEE doesn't see 5 GHz networks but is otherwise fairly sensitive.  For example it can detect a neighbor's network 200+ feet away from me.  It's currently sitting about 10 ft away from my gateway and the 2.6 GHz network that it sees registers a signal strength of 5/5.  So a possible explanation for the EEE not seeing CoxWiFi is that it's 5 GHz.  But that doesn't explain why the computer that I'm at right now can't connect.  Here's the SSID list that I see:

I can switch to the second 2.6 GHz network but when I try to connect to CoxWiFi I get "Can't connect to this network".  I'm groping here but might this be some sort of servicing feature for Cox?

ChrisJ2

Hi, Bill. The device can clearly see the SSID. It's simply unable to join. If you want, please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We will be glad to help.