Forum Discussion

Batman
New Contributor
21 days ago

Was just switched to Yahoo mail...months after the others

Hope that the discussion and help folks are still active, so here goes...

I have 4  email accounts. The 4th, my default and largest was moved  a couple of days ago to Yahoo mail and is accessible online, but I also want it on my Android phone using the built in email app, like the other 3 that are on my phone. For some reason the final one  cannot be created.

Tried to set it up several times and always get this message. What do I do?

"Couldn't verify account-
The username or password is incorrect or POP3/IMAP access isn't turned on for this account. Check your email account settings on the web, then try again."

Where is this setting?

• Hello Batman,
    I appreciate the convenience of wanting to use your Android email App for your cox.net email since the transition over to Yahoo. When using a client with Yahoo, you'll need to generate a Third Party App Password for your Cox.net account to be able to use the client with your Yahoo-transitioned Cox email account. This is a requirement by Yahoo's terms. It's possible these steps may help you out.

Step 1:
    Log into Yahoo mail. You will need your full cox email address [youraccountname]@cox.net and the new email password you created when you completed your Cox to Yahoo transition. Once in the Yahoo mail click the icon at the top right (your name or initials) and select "Overview". Now from the menu at the top select "Security".

Step 2:
    Look on the right for "Other ways to sign in" and you will see "App Password - If you don’t normally use a password to sign in to your Yahoo account, here’s where you can generate a password for 3rd-party apps that require passwords." Click on "Generate an app password" and provide a name for the app (i.e. Android Mail App). Yahoo will provide a new password for the Mail app - make a copy of it (don't include the spaces).

Step 3:

Enter these into your account under your Android client mail.

Name - Your name
    Email - [youraccountname]@cox.net
    Description - what ever you want displayed

Incoming Mail Server
    Host Name - imap.mail.yahoo.com
    User Name - [youraccountname]@cox.net
    Password - ** see note below

Outgoing Mail Server
    Host Name - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    User Name - [youraccountname]@cox.net
    Password - ** see note below

Use SSL - On
    Authentication - Password
    Server Port - 465

**Now carefully type in the new password generated by Yahoo and press return on the screen keyboard. You should get checkmarks indicating success. You need to do this for both the Incoming and Outgoing Server settings.

These steps should help you out, as these steps were confirmed to work for others when setting up the account after the transition to Yahoo.