Forum Discussion

stardog
New Contributor
11 months ago

Very Slow Upload Speeds / Limitation of ISP wiring?

Hello! So I've just updated to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem and my download speeds have increased to the advertised rate on my plan (500+ Mbps) and I am very satisfied on that front.

However, my upload speed hasn't budged from what it was on the previous DOCSIS 3.0 modem (10-12 Mbps.) Even when skipping my router and wiring directly into the modem itself. My plan is 500/500.

I understand that the plan specified UP to 500 upload, not a guaranteed 500, but I thought at the very least after switching from DOCSIS 3.0 to 3.1, and after seeing an increase in my download speed, I'd at least see my upload increase a bit. Is it possible that the wiring to my residence isn't up to the task?

• Hello, I apologize that you are getting lower upload speeds than you anticipated. The 'Go Even Faster' internet of 500Mbps has an upload of up to 10Mbps. We do have some areas that are on a split node, providing Fiber and HFC (coaxial) connections that can provide up to 50Mbps. Only areas of straight Fiber can receive upwards of 500Mpbs, in which case a modem would not be used. We can verify what kind of connection you currently have in order to verify if the upload speeds are proper or we need to investigate the issue further. If you would like us to assist with this kind of request, can you please email cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, and link to forum thread. The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox High Speed Internet services with other customers. If you need help with billing or other account specific issues, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com