Forum Discussion

jrambo
New Contributor
6 years ago

Update router firmware

I heard about the latest router malware issue, and I understand that I need to update my router firmware. But I'm not sure if Cox does it on their end, or if I need to do something on my end. I purchased my router from Cox a couple years ago. It's Cisco model DPC3825. 

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • We update the firmware to modems automatically as they become available. The one that you have is not affected by the VPNFilter Malware that is currently going around. The following routers are at risk according to Cisco:

•Linksys E1200
    •Linksys E2500
    •Linksys WRVS4400N
    •Mikrotik RouterOS for Cloud Core Routers: Versions 1016, 1036, and 1072
    •Netgear DGN2200
    •Netgear R6400
    •Netgear R7000
    •Netgear R8000
    •QNAP TS251
    •QNAP TS439 Pro
    •Other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software
    •TP-Link R600VPN

jrambo
      New Contributor

Great, thank you so much! So I assume that means I have the latest firmware then since you update on your end, right? I thought that was true only if I rented the router from Cox, as opposed to buying it, which I did. But you're saying that Cox does the updates even when I purchased it from Cox, correct? On, another note, how do I access/log into my router to change settings or my password?  

Becky
        Hi Jrambo, Cox updates the firmware for all customer modems (and Gateways), whether the device was purchased from Cox or another retailer. To access the settings for your Gateway (modem), open a web browser on your PC. In the address field, enter 192.168.0.1. A DOCSIS WAN login page should open. Leave the User Name and Password field blank and click Log In. An Administration Management page will open. Use the Administration Management page to set your User Name and Password. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator