Forum Discussion

JawKneeB
New Contributor
6 months ago

Unknown Connected Device

So I just upgraded modem/router to CGM4331. Everything seems ok, BUT! one of my connected devices is listed as a "Netgear Neatgear Nighthawk X6S (EX8000) Extender". I thought I had narrowed it down to my HP7855 printer, as I did a troubleshoot on it when unplugged and it did not connect.  So I did a factory reset on it. NOW, it, the X6S, is still there, but it's IP is my Netgear EAX15 Wi-Fi extender's 2.4GHz band. SO, I don't know if you followed this but WTF! Is going on?  

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Is it breaking anything with your network? Also, you should be able to look up the manafacture by the MAC address.

• So I'm indeed not quite following all of this as it's been stated.  Let's try breaking this issue down ito small, managable chunks.  For starters, do you use a Nighthawk Wifi extender in your home?

JawKneeB
    New Contributor

WMO:  Not breaking anything but my mind. MAC address is Netgear. Host is my HP Printer (Hp708A03)

EC:  I do not use a "Nighthawk" extender, but do use a Netgear EAX15 extender. 

Im thinking somehow it's my printer that connected to my extender.  I set the extender up as a mesh network and uses same login. 

So I unplugged the printer, reset the extender,  unplugged the extender, then plugged in the printer forcing it to connect to Cox modem.  I lost the original Netgear Nighthawk X6S name, but still has a Netgear MAC!

ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

They might be the same device.  I'd check the MAC address reported against what's on the product label to confirm.