Forum Discussion

clba
New Contributor
2 years ago

Unable to access irrigation controller remotely with COX as ISP

I recently installed a Rainbird "smart" controller for my irrigation system.  I can communicate through the app with the controller within the confines of my home wi-fi network, but am unable to do so through a cellular connection when I'm away from home.  This is one of the main reasons I purchased the controller--to be able to change the settings when I'm away for the summer.  In talking with the Rainbird reps, they asked me to contact Cox (my ISP) and tell them I need them to open Port 80 to all access to the MAC address.  When I talked to Cox about it they said that Cox internet is blocked for Port 80 and they could not help me.  They indicated that I'd have to switch to a different ISP if I wanted that access.  I assume it's some kind of security issue, but I'd think that given the size of COX and Rainbird, this would be a known problem with some sort of resolution possible??  Anyone have a similar issue??

5 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Port 80 is blocked by Cox to stop people from running web servers from their home. See page 6 of the Rainbird manual for info on how to change the port to something that isn't blocked like 50080. Why the Rainbird support didn't suggest that we will never know. Even their manual says most ISP block port 80.

Edit: Now that I look, 50080 is the default port. Did you change it to 80?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

OP still has to forward the port in their router settings. What model router for instructions?

Lovemylab
    Contributor III

If you can't get this resolved, you may want to try the Rachio approach. I've had mine for years so I'm rusty on the integrations. The phone control works fine on cell and wifi. I love being able to start and stop a station from my phone when fine tuning a sprinkler head.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I just hope we get a response from the OP. So many times these posts go unresolved.