Forum Discussion

gchtvc15
New Contributor
4 years ago

Steps to Connect Computer Directly to Cable Modem

Looking to connect my computer via CAT6 directly to my cable modem. Do I need to manually set an IP address on my computer to get them to connect? If so, what IP address doing I need to use?

17 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CTCoxCustomer
    New Contributor III

You shouldn't have to. The modem will give you an IP address automatically through DHCP.

gchtvc15
      New Contributor

My router handles dhcp, not the cable modem...From Netgear...By default, the router acts as a DHCP server. The router assigns IP, DNS server, and default gateway addresses to all computers connected to the LAN.

Are you saying when the router isn't connected the Netgear cable modem will provide dhcp services?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The modem operates at Layer-2 of the networking protocols, aka the MAC Layer.  Your public IP address will be what Cox assigns to your modem.  When your modem receives data addressed to it, it'll pass it via MAC address.  No IP addresses involved.

gchtvc15
      New Contributor

Thanks Bruce! When I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem I do not get internet connectivity according to my laptop.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

You may need to just unplug/replug the modem to clear its MAC table.  It probably thinks it's still communicating with your router.

Also, ensure your LAN (wired) NIC is enabled on your laptop.  This task should be under your Network & Internet properties.