Forum Discussion

cxb
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Spam Filters Not Working

As usual, my Inbox this AM had 10 very obvious spam messages.  My old MailWasher utility had marked all but 1 of those as spam.  The Cox Spam folder had 3 messages, 2 of which were not spam.  Each morning before downloading my e-mail I go to myemail.cox.net, mark all the spam messages in the Inbox as spam, and mark all the legitimate messages in the Spam folder as not spam.  If the Cox spam filter is supposed to learn to recognize spam from this process, it certainly is a slow learner.  If a simple third party utility can recognize almost all the spam, why can't the Cox filter perform at least as well?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bearone2
    Contributor III

i use outlook16 & just checked,,cox webmail had 6 in spam, only one shouldn't have been there.

why complain about cox if you have a workaround??

cxb
      New Contributor II

Because Cox, as a major ISP, should be using the much more effective, currently available technology to distinguish spam from legitimate messages to reduce the flood of spam that appears in its customers' inboxes every day.  The time it takes me to sort out the spam is time I should not have to spend when the Cox spam filtering should be doing the major portion of that job.

cxb
    New Contributor II

My MailWasher app correctly marked all the spam messages the Cox "filter" missed in my Inbox this AM. These are the domain names and originating servers those messages used:

inboxlinedigital.com  [Received: from ia.inboxlinedigital.com]

specsymbols.com  [Received: from yreiosipppqkob.com]

zndEmO77Ts.gyolkpsghasrfal.com   [how obvious is that?]  [Received: from ny1mta-90.sailthru.com]

mellowcool.com  [Received: from vspvxfajon.com]

poliane@cooperrun.com  [Received: from gphugkjzwflizo.com]

blowmin.com  [Received: from rcskmdrpqrepv.com]

If MailWasher can spot them, why can't the Cox filter do at least as well?

bearone2
      Contributor III

free version or are you paying for pro?

since mailwasher is working, why keep whining here?

cxb
    New Contributor II

Another typical day for the Inbox.  MailWasher detected all but one of these:

isolatedbanslip.com  [cs.isolatedbanslip.com]

elitemeans.com  [llanoehoyjgjtv.com]

unraonews.com  [atngoaqywnfb.com]

ensuringhealthcaref0rallcitizens.exposed  [specialautowarrantydiscount.pro]

caringrup.com  [gdmlfaoyzqysbh.com]

cipsdesert.com  [eywicfwxucem.com]

namesooo.com  [dwhlabhcocw.com]

voncknilei.smartideafinder.com  [moutstungther.casa]

I still have seen no reasonable explanation of why the Cox spam filter fails to find these.

DannyS
      They may be new turn-ups that have not been identified yet. If you would continue to get emails from these groups, setting up a filter or forwarding rule may be the best way to combat it for now until the server picks them up. -Dan