Forum Discussion

SethBrockway1
New Contributor
5 years ago

Smart LED Lights Cause Internet on PC to Stop Working

Cox Modem: Panoramic Gateway

Smart LED lights: Govee

I bought some Govee LED smart lights and put them in my bedroom where my PC is. They are on my 2.4 GHz network. They only work on the 2.4 GHz network. When the smart LED lights are on, the internet on my PC stops working. The internet immediately starts working when I turn the smart lights off. I did a browser speed test on my PC when the lights are off (ping was 8 m/s) and when the lights were on (ping was 600+ m/s, but eventually my internet would stop working). I have unlimited data on my internet, so I didn't think turning on some lights should cause the internet to stop working. My other devices (smartphone, Amazon Echo Spot, Macbook, iPad, Amazon Fire Stick) are all unaffected and work just fine when my smart lights are on. I've had smart lights at my previous apartment and never had this problem, though they were a different brand - not sure if that matters. My PC is connected to the internet via powerline adapters/Ethernet cables. My Cox Panoramic modem is in the living room, which is about 25-30 feet from my bedroom where my PC/smart lights are (not sure if that matters). I tried resetting the modem, plugging in my Ethernet cables to different ports, but have had no success.

Also, I noticed that even though my PC has a wired connection, it displays that I am connected to my 2.4 GHz network. Unlike my previous router that Cox supplied at my previous apartment, ever since I got my Panoramic modem, I have not had the option of the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network, it only gives me the option of 5 GHz. My previous router gave me that choice. Plus, since it's a wired connection, shouldn't it not really matter anyway since it's a direct connection? I tried combining the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks into one band, since that's apparently one of the features of the Panoramic, but didn't get any success with that.

Help would be greatly appreciative. I couldn't find anyone that had this problem, as it seems very specific, so I figured I'd try posting on this forum. Thanks.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    If it's specifically when connecting the bulbs you see the issue it's like something with the settings on those is conflicting on the home network. It may be best to speak with the manufacture's technical support for further assistance. As for your gateway settings, the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz share the same network name by design so as to encourage primary use o the 5Ghz radio. If you connect a device that doesn't support 5Ghz it will still work using the 2.4Ghz radio.

-Chris