Forum Discussion

Ryobi_GDO_Troub
New Contributor
2 years ago

Ryobi Garage Door opener

my panoramic wifi sees my Ryobi Garage Door opener, connects then dis connects, any suggestions?

21 Replies

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

how far away from the garage is your pano modem. How many walls does it have to go through, and is the last one a brick wall from the garage?

Lovemylab
    Contributor III

In additions to the suggestions below, would actually go out to the garage and check the signal strength with WiFi Analyzer or similar. I added a separate router in the garage (ethernet backhaul) due to the signal loss issues.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band on separate names(SSID)? This is called band steering and can cause problems with some devices. Also, do you have any spaces in your SSID? Last, how is the signal strength in your garage?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Don't garage door openers frequency hop for security?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I think you are talking about the sensor to open the garage door, not the Wi-Fi connection between the device and router.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Correct.  Why else would you connect a garage door opener to a router?  You'd either open/close it via the transmitter included with the opener or an app on a phone.  Unless it also has cameras, there isn't much to check on a garage door opener.

• I have an older Chamberlain setup that has a similar integration setup.  Basically using the older setup you get a garage door remote that has an Ethernet port instead of a button to push.  Plug it into the nearest Ethernet port within remote range of the garage door, setup the app, and it just works.  I believe most newer openers have a wifi module built into the opener itself.

Strangely enough I found myself having to troubleshoot a problem with my setup and guess what feature doesn't come with a $1600 Unifi switch?  10Base-T backwards compatibility.

Darkatt
      Honored Contributor

I am sorry, but I find that to be funny. It doesn't have 10baseT backwards compatibility? I thought that 100BaseTX required that backwards compatibility as a part of it's implementation?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I am curious what model switch it is. Not that I am going to be buying a 1600$ switch any time soon. Heh.