Forum Discussion

Nbloyd
New Contributor
10 months ago

Public 5g wifi tower installed in my parents office

Whoever set up the wifi in my dad’s office, installed the panoramic router about two feet from where he sits, then installed another wifi router 5 feet away on the other side of his chair. There were also unknown accounts for secondary access to his cox account. My dad was recently diagnosed with some kind of cognitive decline syndrome, and i have to wonder if there is some kind of identity theft attack going on here. It took me most of the day to turn off the panoramic wifi, and run it in “bridge “ mode. However, once  In bridge mode, I whipped out my emf meter and find that it is still broadcasting public coxwifi. I am more than a little pissed off that this was installed a couple feet from my dad’s head. 
You should know that if you have a panoramic router that your property is being used for their network and you are paying them for it. I will be looking into the legality of this whole scam, and the possibility that cox is responsible for my father’s dementia.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

See here on how to disable the hotspot. Or if you're really concerned, buy your own modem as it sounds like you already have your own router. As for the location of the gateway, usually Cox puts it where the customer asks or where there is already a coaxial outlet. As for the legality of it, pretty sure it is. Read your terms of service(TOS).

Nbloyd
    New Contributor

I took it back to the office and they gave me an old fashioned modem that i can plug my own WiFi router into and shut it off. The panoramic cannot be shut off, even if you do manage to turn off the WiFi, you are only making it so you can’t use it, it still functions as a public 5g coxwifi tower.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Did you see my link I posted? Those are instructions to disable the public 5G also known as Cox Wi-Fi. Did they not work for you?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Just curious but what model modem did they give you and how much does it cost per month?