Forum Discussion

Curious_User
New Contributor
10 months ago

Private Relay disabled by Cox last night

It seems as if Cox has determined that capturing user's personal data and selling it is another way of making profits and bowing down to the U.S. Government's mass surveillance.  Today I was notified that outage/update that occurred last night was to disable Apple's Private Relay.

Since Cox is a utility, they really shouldn't have any reason to start capturing data from users.  This could be considered illegal search and seizure, according to the 4th Amendment, especially if any bulk data is provided to any law enforcement agency.

The Fourth Amendment says, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Stand up for your right to privacy!  Eliminate the possibility of your data being harvested by political campaigns.

6 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Can you include a copy of the notification? I found this article on the subject. If you are concerned about data collection I would suggest getting rid of the gateway and buying a stand alone modem and router.

Curious_User
      New Contributor

Thanks for the article.

After last night's update, my iPhone notified me that my Cox network no longer supports Private Relay. 

The article you provided references Panoramic Wifi and I do not have Panoramic Wifi.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        After last night's update,

Interesting. Seems it acts like a VPN so I wonder how Cox can block it and why.