Forum Discussion

Nihil
New Contributor
5 years ago

Port Forwarding Defaults to Random IP

While it is beyond me that cox has forced me to use this buggy and weird wifi.cox thing, here I am in this situation. I have an ethernet connected Desktop which needs to be portforwarded on several ports (the interface forces me to delete ALL ports to make a change, that **, but isn't my issue). I should have a reserved ip address lets just say on 192.168.my.ip (shown like this for security reasons), the update has forced it to a DHCP 192.168.my.ip, and every time I try to change it, it does nothing. Still not the main issue. When I go to port forward, it asks for the device, I click the device, fill in the info, and hey look, it changes to 192.168.0.2 instead of 192.168.my.ip, and says that there is no device on that, there isn't... Yet I check my device, and it is shown as being 192.168.my.ip. This has completely crippled all of the services on my computer, and me being annoyed is an understatement.

3 Replies

Nihil
    New Contributor

Well, 14 hours and things are still down, perhaps there is a way to roll back the firmware update, unlikely. I really don't want to get a 3rd party modem so I can just have a new firmware, since the firmware on it was bad before, but this is completely unusable, money is tight since COVID-19. If it just allowed me to be able to do both, use cox.wifi and the admin page, I would not be here saying this. Since I am not getting replies from support, does anyone else know anything?

Nihil
      New Contributor

Another day has passed, I tried to set up a DMZ instead, and just handle any security on the computer, but so many threats needed to be handled that it was overwhelming, and the connection I did want to go through, was blocked as a threat by cox, and I can only allow access for 30 days...

Nihil
        New Contributor

Screw it, setting internal to the 192.168.0.2, handling security both sides, and just learning to live with having no control over ports on any other address because the app/thing is bugged, well, I know what I'm not going to recommend to friends nor keeping in the long term.