Forum Discussion

mortuno1
New Contributor
6 months ago
Solved

Outage In Area (or not?) 11/11-??/?? 2023

Paradise Hills, San Diego - Ever since we saw a cox vehicle show up on our street this past Saturday, November 11,2023, we've had a constant outage later that day and the outage has not been resolved.

As we were leaving for a food shopping trip we passed by a vehicle belonging to Cox that was parked like five houses down from ours. When we inquired with one of our neighbors the next day they told us that the vehicle eventually moved and was also parked by the electric pole that is in front of our house while we weren't home.

Who knows what work the technician did on our street that day but since then I have been receiving texts around noon that there is an outage in my area, then a few hours later another text that the outage was resolved but "it appears one of your devices is having trouble connecting." These texts have been occurring daily for the past three days.

This is my first outage from Cox this year and also the first time I've received so many texts on and off having to do with an outage.

I only have the Internet Ultimate 500 plan. Our billing is up to date, cables are not damaged or frayed, and power cycling the Surfboard Arris SB8200 modem has not helped (it just keeps scanning downstream searching for an internet connection).

I tried "Smarthelp" and chatting with a VA from India to help with troubleshooting before requesting an appointment for a Cox tech to arrive at my location. The appointment is for today, between 3p-5p, so I'll update this post with the results of this upcoming visit.

• 11/13/23 (Update) 4:25 pm - The technician, Carlos, just left and my internet is working now! He was a very skilled tech and worked really fast; could tell he has years of experience.

He went up on the electric pole to take a look at the connections and was up there for a while. Then when he came back down he replaced the entire coax cable that ran from inside and across the attic---then down into the room where I keep the modem. He said that it was an old cable so it was best to just update it with a new one, and I agree since that cable was there since before we moved into the house. 

He also mentioned that he did something up on the electric pole but don't remember what (he said it so fast), as if there was something that did need to be calibrated, ...anyway, after all was said and done, he showed me the results of the connection on a device he uses for diagnostics and all my signals showed green.

Thank you to Carlos for such a great job! 

(As an added thank you we gave him some pink guavas from our guava tree. 😄)

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    mortuno1
    New Contributor

11/13/23 (Update) 4:25 pm - The technician, Carlos, just left and my internet is working now! He was a very skilled tech and worked really fast; could tell he has years of experience.

He went up on the electric pole to take a look at the connections and was up there for a while. Then when he came back down he replaced the entire coax cable that ran from inside and across the attic---then down into the room where I keep the modem. He said that it was an old cable so it was best to just update it with a new one, and I agree since that cable was there since before we moved into the house. 

He also mentioned that he did something up on the electric pole but don't remember what (he said it so fast), as if there was something that did need to be calibrated, ...anyway, after all was said and done, he showed me the results of the connection on a device he uses for diagnostics and all my signals showed green.

Thank you to Carlos for such a great job! 

(As an added thank you we gave him some pink guavas from our guava tree. 😄)

AllisonL

Hi mortuno1. I'm so happy to hear that our technician was able to get you back up and working. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this entire ordeal may have caused you. If we can be of any additional support to you, please feel free to email us at cox.help@cox.com. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

It's a good thing to receive quality service and it was probably something you needed.  But if you don't subscribe to Cox Complete Care, Cox will bill you for the wiring replacement on your side of the demarcation point.