Forum Discussion

matt1212
New Contributor II
4 years ago

New Technicolor CGM4331COM Gateway for Cox / Wi-Fi 6 Gateway

I've seen a new Technicolor CGM4331COM gateway mentioned for Xfinity (link below).  Does anyone know whether this hardware will also be adopted by Cox in the near future?  It seems like Xfinity has already started rolling this new equipment out to customers.  Or is there any other updated gateway on the horizon for Cox?  To me the Cox network seems to have some serious deficiencies with IPv6.  I've seen some evidence that the current CGM4141 gateway may be part of the issue (I see many "FW.IPv6 FORWARD drops" and "FW.IPv6 INPUT drops" that coincide with my spotty internet performance).  Cox should have a new gateway in the works that mitigates this.  I imagine they'll need to put out something with Wi-Fi 6 by the end of 2020.  While Wi-Fi 6 isn't my main interest, I'm hoping they'll use this as an opportunity to correct the issues with IPv6 and the firewall.  Anyone heard anything?

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32469291-Equip-XB7-Technicolor-CGM4331COM-Arris-TG4482-Wireless-AX-Wi-Fi-6

3 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Why are you limiting your choices to only Cox equipment?  If you want a more reliable modem or an 802.11ax router, buy one.

matt1212
      New Contributor II

Thanks for the insight, Bruce.  To me, using the Cox issued equipment feels like a reasonable starting point given that they (in theory) should know what equipment will work best with their network.  This also forces Cox to provide tech support, which would be forfeited if I replaced it with a 3rd party modem.  I don't think the manner in which I use my internet would be considered overly demanding or unique, and therefore would expect the standard issue equipment to be adequate.  As I mentioned, the intermittent drop-outs I experience seem to be related to IPv6 and the firewall within the gateway.  IPv6 is pretty much standard these days, so it feels like the obligation is on Cox to fix this.  I also had a 3rd party Arris modem at my last residence and had similar issues, although I've since learned that this was likely related to the Puma 6 chip set.

With that being said, I'm not opposed to investing in a 3rd party modem & router if others have seen improvement by doing so.  It would be nice to first ensure I've tried all I can to troubleshoot the CGM4141 I have now.  Are there any modems that have users have had a positive experience with?  The Motorola MB8600 and Netgear CM2000 seem to be two of the premier options at the moment...

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Works Best.  Cox certifies specific modems due to its underlying technology.  Just because Cox certifies a modem, it doesn't mean it's any better than another brand.  It just means it's compliant with the Cox configuration.  I'm sure there's a "world's best" modem somewhere but if it doesn't comply, Cox can't certify it.

Tech Support.  Cox issues a list of certified modems so you can either buy it on the market or from Cox.  Either way, it's the exact same modem.  If you did purchase from Cox, there would be no additional tech support for the modem.

Puma-6.  You could have just as easily purchased the faulty chipset from Cox.  If it was within a Cox-rented router, however, I'm sure Cox would have replaced it but it'd depend on the firmware.  I can't remember...what did Cox do with rented Puma-6 equipment?

A router has nothing to do with a Cox configuration.  A router is your network.  If you want the ax router...stop renting and buy the ax router.