Forum Discussion

aholic_2
New Contributor
4 years ago

Netflix or any other streaming service

Is this possible???

I binge watch TV series on Netflix..

Not sure if you know how it works? If you are watching a series on Netflix it will automatically start playing the next episode.

I have woken up and seen Netflix was on episode 13 but when I fell asleep i was watching episode 6.

I know that would count as data of course it would.

But what if just hit the turn off TV button on my remote and the TV goes off but I never logged out of Netflix.

1  Would it still be running in background towards data? Do you have to turn off App First? Or log/out? 

Sounds like a stupid question but now I have this thing about making sure I turn off netflix before turning off TV??

8 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I had this question over the summer; however, instead of streaming via the cable-box, I was streaming via Roku.

I was live-streaming an event via Roku (YouTube) while awaiting a scheduled program on C-SPAN.  At the scheduled time, I switched my TV input to the cable-box to watch C-SPAN.  After C-SPAN, I switched my TV input back to Roku...and YouTube was still live-streaming.

Although I hadn't turned off the TV...as in your case...was I still consuming data in the background?  What a waste!

You have to mind your live streams.  I don't know if YouTube had consumed data in the background, but now I automatically press the Home button on my Roku remote before switching inputs or turning off the TV to cancel any live steam because Roku also stays powered.  In addition, Roku has options to save bandwidth (format, auto-play, "Are You Still Watching" popup, etc.).

To mind your streams, I recommend disabling the auto-start next-episode option in your Netflix app (if available).  Also, in your groggy state, I wouldn't simply turn off your TV but instead press the Last button on your Contour remote to switch to a cable-TV channel...then turn off your TV.

If your Watch History isn't populating for the Last button:  Contour button > Settings (gear icon) > Privacy > Watch History (On/Off).

For someone who claims to "...never use the Internet to watch movies..." you use the Internet a lot to watch movies.  (smiley face here)

aholic_2
      New Contributor

I watch TV at night. I never had  to watch bandwidth before so this is all new to me. .I shouldn't be saying this but what the hell. I found I can download a full movie under 1GB. To stream from Netflix was a lot more data than 1GB. So I don't stream from anywhere even though I have Netflix, every movie I watch  is from PC. The quality is good enough for me, Not Blu Ray but not bad MKV is a wonderful container. And I use a lot less data.

bearone2
    Contributor III

hey pal, if you turn off the tv, you're not binge watching!!

fwiw: if watching netflix, shut off tv, turn back on, i need to re-log back into netflix!!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

What do you use to stream Netflix?  Whatever device you use to stream holds the session cookie.  For example, if you stream via a TV app, recycling TV power would delete the session.  However, if using Contour, you're not deleting the session.

bearone2
        Contributor III

contour.....if i'm not deleting the session, then why do i need to re-select who's watching if i return to netflix later in the day/evening to continue what i was watching?

aholic_2
      New Contributor

LMAO Touché    ...I should have said binge watch TV series. Like I just finished Grimm which was 6 seasons. 

aholic_2
      New Contributor

I only go on Netflix to see if there is anything new I like out there (now that I have COX) then turn it off. I would usually use TV App easy enough. I am happy to know that there is a difference between the 2. Now I know why I had to sign in a few times, TV app must retain login info because for me it was strange to have to log in to Netflix, that must be when I use  the contour.app. So again I thank you.

Thanks for all the useful info Bruce but we just figured out how that one night bandwidth was very high. First week I got COX I used Netflix as usual, must have been falling asleep turned off tv. not Netflix, I wont make that mistake again. Trust me. You've been great. Thanks for all your help.