Forum Discussion

fragilityV1
New Contributor
2 months ago

Low Download Speed with Significant Amount of Corrected/Uncorrectables

I have 500 Mbps download, but over the last few weeks, I've been struggling to get 30 Mbps download.  (Upload speeds are where they should be) I'm seeing a significant amount of Corrected and Uncorrectedables and think that is likely what's causing it.  But don't know why there are so many. SnR and Power levels looked good for the locked channels based on what I've read.  (The image above shows the status after rebooting less than 12 hours ago) I replaced my previous modem (replaced with Arris S33) thinking it may be the problem, but it did not solve it.  Next is replacing the coax from the house connection to the modem.  (Direct line to modem, no splitters except for splice at the input.)  Any other ideas or things to troubleshoot before I get a technician out?

• Since they had their planned “Maintenance” yesterday my speeds have dropped from 500+Mbps to around 50Mbps. Not happy. Took forever just to get on this forum. 

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Double check all your cable connections in the home. If your cable wire to the modem connects to a splitter or to a wall connection, replace the cable. IF the cable gets bent, it's ruined. The signal going through the cable is an RF signal, much like the one in your car, and a bent wire can cause the signal to get bounced backwards causing exactly what you have described. ALSO loose connections in the home can allow EMI and RF INTO the wiring, causing the same issue. Verifying all connections are snug, and getting CAPS placed on any wall/cable outlet connections not being used, can in many instances correct the problem, without the need for a technician to come out, and possible a service charge. 

• I replaced the coax from the line into the house and checked that all connections are snug.  There's a splice connection at the drop into the house, but I can't replace that.  Otherwise, it's a straight shot from the drop to the cable modem.  The problem still persists; low download speeds, but upload speeds are fine.  Guess I'm going to have to have a technician out.

rand61
    New Contributor

Seems like Cox service is getting worse and worse, troubleshoot is a waste of time. I'm looking to go elsewhere for my h better service, tired of these money hungry companies!!

LaToyaW

Hello.

Thank you for being a part of the Cox family. I'm sorry this has been your experience, I would like to investigate any ongoing issues you've encountered when you have a moment.  Please email your full name and complete address to Cox.helpCox.com