Forum Discussion

h0mebas3
New Contributor
7 months ago

IPv6 Prefix Delegation on ONT

Hello Everyone :) I have a fiber to the home with Gigablast and have a Nokia ONT. I've been trying to receive an IPv6 prefix to be assigned to my router by requesting a /64 however to date, I have been unsuccessfull.

Three years ago, Dustin/Cox stated that prefix delegation was only working under DOCSIS modems and not under PON circuits:

https://forums.cox.com/discussions/internet/when-will-ipv6-work-with-fiber-to-the-home-under-gigablast/121392

Is IPv6 prefix delegation still unsupported on PON circuits or is it now supported? Thanks

19 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Many routers have to have IPv6 turned on in the router itself. IF your router is ready to accept an IPv6 IP address, then it will be handed down. 

What kind of router are you using, I will find the proper place for you to turn on IPv6 and post it for you. 

h0mebas3
      New Contributor

Hello Darkatt,

Thanks for the response. I have a Miktrotik router. I've configured it to receive prefix of /64 with a prefix hint of 64 in the DHCP client section. It never receives a prefix and just continues to search.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Do not configure anything, set it to DHCP. Everything is handled by a DHCP server, and if you specify something, it won't work. Just ensure if you have the IPv6 package on your router that it's set to DHCP ONLY. 

Accotding to your MFG website - 

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=196218

1) Your ISP support IPv6?
        2) The IPv6 package is installed (or included on bundle package)?
        3) The IPv6 package is enabled?

a) The router must be configured to receive, on some way, IPv6 address to redistribute it internally.

h0mebas3
    New Contributor

I tried both of those options and neither worked unfortunately. Based on comments by Dustin/Cox I should be requesting a prefix. I did try just an address and it failed.

ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

Requesting a prefix delegation size is not necessary unless you want something other than the default.  The default would be the /64 you're seeking and the fewer custom requests you make to the DHCP server, the more likely you'll achieve success.

It would also help if a moderator could clarify whether or not IPv6 is available on FTTH connections now.  In the past, it was not available but I'm not aware if that is been addressed since then.

h0mebas3
        New Contributor

I removed the prefix delegation size and it's still just searching at this point. Definitely open to suggestions.

xlnkaw35kl
    New Contributor

Cox, FTTH, Las Vegas market. They're handing out /56s and /60s here (i.e., pd-hint size of 56 or 60).

ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

In my area, I'm successfully requesting a /56.  There's really no reason to not stick with a /64 if you just have a single network running in your home.  If you have multiple interfaces on your router however, a /56 /60 PD allows you to assign unique /64 PD's to each of your interfaces.  I'm successfully doing this now with a total of 9 interfaces on my firewall.

h0mebas3
      New Contributor

What model of ONT do you have and what router are you using?

xlnkaw35kl
        New Contributor

Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A ONT, circa mid-2018 installation, pfSense router.