Forum Discussion

2muchtv
New Contributor
2 years ago

Internet traffic volume

Last couple of months I have been getting close to the 1.25 TB data limit. Hasn't happened before. Aug - Sep only used 450GB. The two months after that used over 1.0TB each.  We're not streaming.  Just us two adults. Working from home since the pandemic. Nothing has changed with our work duties.  Have a TM3402A modem. Will the admin page allow me to pull traffic data that tells me all the ip addresses that have sent or received data,, and the number of bytes transmitted?

3 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Check your devices and make sure you don't have any mobile devices doing cloud backups, or syncing with ONEDRIVE. Also, if you have amazon alexa or echo/dots try shutting them down for a few days, and you can use the Cox App on your cell phone to check data usage, see if the data usage went down on the days you had them unplugged. Also, if you have a rin doorbell verify it's not sending up a lot of video. 

Unfortunately there are a lot of things that can be using data, but if you have a good router, sometimes it will have logs of data usage for everything connected to it. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      but if you have a good router, sometimes it will have logs of data usage for everything connected to it. 

I have a Asus router that not only breaks down what devices are using what bandwidth but also what apps(services) are using that bandwidth on those devices. I love it, although it does get buggy sometimes, requiring a reboot. Pretty sure all the Asus routers do this, even the cheap ones. See here for a an emulator.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

No. The TM3402 is a stand alone phone modem (eMTA) so it doesn't have any routing function to track bandwidth use. What model router do you have?