Forum Discussion

theforgetfulbud
New Contributor
4 years ago

I want to change my DNS on my Panorama gateway.

I don't see the location to where I can change the DNS on my Cox router. Your service has too many hops to the outside for me to do what I need to and lots of dead routing when I tracert to the location I need to connect to.

I searched the forum and I only see the answer "we don't support changing DNS" Now I'm a good Computer Networking Tech so lets both be honest here. We know that's absolutely NOT TRUE. Firstly you had to set a DNS in the first place for there to be a DNS forced on us. I don't want to use your DNS server beucase of the spying issue I'm aware ISP can do, plus latency and throttling. I'm a game streamer and the dead hops and bad routing is a major issue for me. I don't want to use a VPN, but if I need to I will. However it would be much easier if I could just plug in 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 so I get a better connect to global DNS and so you can't spy on me. not that that last part is my goal I just want a faster service and less latency to what I need to do. 

So, now that we;re both being honest here and know that DNS is a required setting on every device and not hard coded, I ask

how do I change my DNS to something I want to use and am comfortable with using that is not a cox DNS address? 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    JacenHorn
    New Contributor

I fully agree. You're completely right. 

I too am looking to change. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

That's because DNS isn't performed on the modem/router or gateway, it's performed on each device. YOU will have to go to the network settings on the device you want to change the DNS on and set the DNS on it. 

If you were a good networking tech, you would KNOW that. Each device when you start it up, reaches out and asks for the network settings. YOU can change those settings to manually have the DNS of your choosing. 

Additionally, the DNS server cannot throttle you, and as for spying, they wouldn't need a DNS server to accomplish that because everything you do is going through multiple routers from you to the end point. ANY of those routers can monitor data flow, URL'S and ip addresses.