Forum Discussion

roy3805
New Contributor II
6 years ago

I think I found a solution for Twitch Streaming dropping frames

So every since about 2 Months ago Live streaming for me has had me ripping my hair out. I tried upgrading to gigablast mainly for the 5MB upload increase coming from the ultimate package. I tried 2 different routers. I tried a Netgear r7000 with both DDWRT and OpenWrt firmware with my streaming device set as MAX priority for bandwidth and that would not fix OBS dropping frames. I even bought a higher end Netgear xr500 and tried port prioritizing twitch streaming ports and would still drop frames. I tried streaming from a VPN that didn’t help. I tried directly from my Arris SB8200 that didn’t help. So finally I stumbled across this switch Netgear made strictly for Gaming/Live Streaming. It’s called an Netgear s8000. I got it for $80. I never used a switch before so I was hesitant to buy it. So I tried it out and I have yet to drop a frame now. My setup is Arris SB8200 > Netgear XR500 > Netgear s8000. I streamed for a entire hour at 3500kbps no frame drops. I even tried youtube at 9000kbps for 30min and no frame drops. On Obs I see the light turn yellow for a sec but it goes back at green. I have yet to see the red light that I used to get. This thing is a life saver. But fortnite is still seeing avg 5% packet loss on upload. I tried a program called speedily to fix that problem. But it ** that you have to get all this equipment just for your service to work right. So if you can’t find anything to fix your frame drops when live streaming and you have a extra $80 to spend try it out guys. 🙂

Heres a stream over an hour at 3500kbps 0.0% frame drops https://ibb.co/RjwPDnk

3 Replies

• bro the simple fact is I also can't stream without dropping frames, fortnite has the packet loss, AND SPEEDIFY FIXED THE PACKET LOSS PROBLEM.

THAT PROVES THE ROUTE COX IS USING TO TWITCH AND FORTNITE SERVERS IS TRASH AND HAS CHEAP HUBS INCURRING DATA LOSS

• IF ALL RED FLAGS ON YOUR UNIT HAVE BEEN CLEARED THERE IS AN ABSOLUTE PROBLEM WITH THE WAY AND ROUTE COX USES TOWARDS AWS. I have exactly all of the problems you wrote and tried everything!

then wow would you look at that....downloaded speedify and the fortnite packet loss on upstream evaporated as if it were the ghost. 

Something needs to be done and it's not on their customers calling 8 different techs to understand the path is incurring data loss.

roy3805
      New Contributor II

I agree with you. They need to upgrade their entire network. They would rather give us all a run around than to escalate the problem. If everyone is having the same exact issue there has to be something wrong on the network. Now I can’t play fortnite without using that speedilfy program. Gaming has not been that smooth for me in awhile.