Forum Discussion

CurtB
Valued Contributor III
8 months ago

How to: Save changes in My Settings

Edit 1: There's no 'Save' button in the 'Follows & Notifications' tab to save changes in 'My Settings'.  Attempts to leave the page after making a change generate an unformatted 'unsaved changes' error.  There are a couple of kludge ways to save changes though.  One is to completely close your browser.  Changes made will be saved when you Sign In again.  The other is more efficient, but appears to be a coding accident.  Click 'Sign Out' in the Account Menu.  Changes will be saved and you aren't signed out.  It's an Easter egg 'Save' button.   

Edit 2: 'Cancel' and 'Save' buttons are displayed and function properly when making a change in the 'Personal' and 'Preferences' tabs.  However, those buttons are missing when a change is made in the 'Follows & Notifications' tab and the unformatted error occurs when trying to leave the page.  Clicking 'Sign Out' to save changes only applies to the 'Follows & Notifications' tab.

Edit 3: The unformatted error was still occuring last night when trying to leave the page after making a change in "Follows & Notifications.  That error is gone today.  There are still no 'Cancel' and "Save' buttons when making a change in that tab, but changes are saved when leaving the page.  It's no longer necessary to click "Sign Out" to save changes. 

7 Replies

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

If notifications don't display when you click the icon, click 'Sign Out' in the Account Menu while on the blank notifications page.  Notifications will be displayed and you won't be signed out.  

• Hi Kurt, I was not able to reproduce this error, when I made a change to my settings on a test account that does not have moderator privileges. An option to save or discard immediately appeared at the bottom of the screen. I got these results in Firefox and Chrome. Please let us know which operating system and web browser you are using.

GregP1

Cox Forums Moderator

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

Did you test making a change in the "Follows & Notifications" tab? 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I see a save button only when I make a change to one of the "My Settings" pages. I changed my first name to "Test" in my profile and updated my time zone. Both saved and updated correctly on rentry. Using Chrome 117.0.5938.134 on Windows 10 and see there is a update available. What are you running?

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

WiderMouthOpenThe two changes you described are in 'Personal' and 'Preferences'.  I see 'Cancel' and 'Save' buttons too when making a change in either of those tabs.  Changes are cleared when "Cancel" is clicked and saved when 'Save' is clicked, as expected.

However, after a change is made in the 'Follows & Notifications' tab, the 'Cancel' and 'Save' buttons are missing and the unformatted error is displayed when trying to leave the page.

Edit: A Forum update was deployed last night (10/10/2023) around 2:15am CT.  During the update, the Forum had an entirely different home page.  When this version was restored, replies were missing for a few minutes.  This update probably fixed the unsaved changes error in the 'Follows & Notifications' tab.  But, that tab still doesn't have 'Cancel' and 'Save' buttons when a change is made.  To save changes, just leave the page,    

Did the mention in this post trigger a notification? 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

The 'Personal' and 'Preferences' tabs still have 'Cancel' and 'Save' buttons when a change is made, but the unformatted 'UnsavedChanges" error is back in the 'Follows & Notifications' tab.  It seems to be an intermittent issue.  When it happens, click "Sign Out' in the Account Menu to save changes made in that tab.