Forum Discussion

mrsagerton
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

How do I disable SIP ALG on panoramic router?

I work from home as well as take phone calls from home using vonage. I am having sound issues which is caused by a setting in the router called SIP ALG, all I need to do is turn it off, but I al not sure how to do that, any assistance is appreciated. 

• I don't think you can with the Panoramic gateway. You would need your own router and either bridge the gateway or buy your own modem too.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    jcganzon1
    New Contributor

I too am having the same issue with my VoIP phone for wfh. Company IT recommended to disable SIP ALG from router. Went through all settings on my router but could not find where to turn it off. On the phone with Cox tech support right now but person helping me doesn't even know themselves. Someone help please.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I don't think you can with the Panoramic gateway. You would need your own router and either bridge the gateway or buy your own modem too.

jcganzon1
        New Contributor

I do have a Netgear Nighthawk that I can bridge and configure. Will test this set up and provide my findings here when able.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

SIP ALG cannot be disabled on pano modem, because it's not a setting, nor is it enabled. 

"What is SIP ALG? SIP ALG stands for Application Layer Gateway and is common in many commercial routers. Its purpose is to prevent some of the problems caused by router firewalls by inspecting VoIP traffic (packets) and if necessary modifying it."

Mike5381
    New Contributor II

SIP ALG is an advanced feature found in most firewalls such as Palo Alto and Cisco Firepower. Those devices have the ability to turn it off. An enterprise grade router might also have this feature. However these cheap all in one devices designed for home use do not have it so there is nothing to turn off.