Forum Discussion

AZDesertgirl1
New Contributor
12 months ago

How Do I Add More Ports to My Cox P7 Modem?

I just had my Cox Coax cable installed two days ago.  Does anyone know which ethernet splitter will work with this model?  COMMSCOPE TG4482A?  The speed I signed up for is 250 Mbps.  I have two blue ethernet cords in the second row of two ports.  My printer is going into the third row, the first port.  

The final port with the orange line is reserved for fiber optics or 2.4 GHz, I guess.  I called technical support and they directed me to the Cox Store.  Who knew there was a Cox Store?  Not me.  The Cox Store doesn't answer phone calls.

Can anyone tell me which ethernet splitter to buy to be able to add more ports effectively?  How about this one?  

https://a.co/d/9YEVRTs

Looking for some reliable help as I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks,

AZDesertgirl

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

You should be able to use the orange port(2.5Gbps) for ethernet. It is only used for fiber when the gateway is in fiber mode. I assume you have cable(HFC) service. Either way, the switch(not called a splitter) should work.

AZDesertgirl1
      New Contributor

Hello Wider,

yes, I did use the fourth port, but I had issues connecting the LTE Network Extender.  Calling Asia for Verizon technical support is a huge joke!   Finally, a day and a half later, the LTE is connected. But my Verizon phone only has 2 bars! 

My Cox is showing top speed at download at 300 mbps, but I tried to update my Microsoft Windows 10 Operating System and it took about 20 minutes.  I unhooked the Ethernet TP-Link 8 port gigabit desktop switch from the modem.  I am unsure of which port is a WAN or LAN. 
      If I sound confused, it's because I am. Cox is coming by bright and early tomorrow, 8-10 am. 
      They'd better not charge me as my install was on Tuesday. 
      Wider, I'll let you know how this all shakes out!  Goodnight, 

AZ Desertgirl1

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        AZDesertgirl1 wrote:

But my Verizon phone only has 2 bars! 

Sounds like a issue with the extender. I would work with Verizon.

AZDesertgirl1 wrote:

Windows 10 Operating System and it took about 20 minutes.

How big was the update?

AZDesertgirl1 wrote:

I am unsure of which port is a WAN or LAN. 

Shouldn't matter which port you use. One from the modem/gateway to the switch and one ethernet from the switch to the other devices.

AZDesertgirl1 wrote:

They'd better not charge me as my install was on Tuesday. 

They might. This is a non Cox issue IMO. I would cancel it until you work with Verizon.