Forum Discussion

sethm1
Contributor
9 days ago

Help with Thunderbird

Now that cox moved to yahoo mail. My settings in Thunderbird is all messed up.  I can receive emails to my Gmail and my Cox/Yahoo accounts BUT I can't send email from either account.

The provided suggested settings dont seem to work.

WHAT are the proper outgoing settings???

• sethm1, I understand you are not able to send email from the Cox.net transitioned account to Yahoo. We can provide a website will helpful links and settings:

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/access-and-log-in-to-yahoo-mail-after-transition.html

Some things to also remember:

Make sure you are sending from the new Yahoo account settings and not the old Cox account settings.

If you still have an issue after using the links and settings listed, please contact Yahoo at 1-866-562-7250 for additional support.

Cox Support Forums Moderator

sethm1
      Contributor

Nope!
      I am writing this from my ipad as your move to Yahoo has “broken” the use of Thunderbird.

for smtp is my user name 88sethmis@cox.net OR just 88sethmis ?

is the outgoing  OAuth2 or “Normal Password” ?

I can receive mail - I just CanNot send emails.  The error I get after entering my password is “Connection to outgoingserver (smtp) smtp.mail.yahoo.com lost in the middle of the transaction.”

what now?

DustinP

Hello sethm1,

I appreciate needing steps for successfully setting up your cox.net in Thunderbird. When using a client with Yahoo, you'll need to generate a Third Party App Password for your Cox.net account to be able to use the Outlook with your Yahoo-transitioned Cox email account. This is a requirement by Yahoo's terms.

Step 1:
        Log into Yahoo mail using your PC or Mac. You will need your full cox email address [youraccountname]@cox.net and the new email password you created when you completed your Cox to Yahoo transition. Once in the Yahoo mail click the icon at the top right (your name or initials) and select "Overview". Now from the menu at the top select "Security".

Step 2:
        Look on the right for "Other ways to sign in" and you will see "App Password - If you don’t normally use a password to sign in to your Yahoo account, here’s where you can generate a password for 3rd-party apps that require passwords." Click on "Generate an app password" and provide a name for the app (e.g., Mac Mail or iPhone Mail). Yahoo will provide a new password for the Apple Mail app - make a copy of it (don't include the spaces).

Step 3:

Name - Your name
        Email - [youraccountname]@cox.net
        Description - what ever you want displayed

Incoming Mail Server
        Host Name - imap.mail.yahoo.com
        User Name - [youraccountname]@cox.net
        Password - ** see note below

Outgoing Mail Server
        Host Name - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
        User Name - [youraccountname]@cox.net
        Password - ** see note below

Use SSL - On
        Authentication - Password
        Server Port - 465

**Now carefully type in the new password generated by Yahoo and press return on the screen keyboard. You should get checkmarks indicating success. You need to do this for both the Incoming and Outgoing Server settings.

These steps should help you out, as these steps were confirmed to work for others when setting up the account after the transition to Yahoo.