Forum Discussion

ratoren
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Free Modem Upgrade

I’m due for a free modem upgrade in February. I currently have the Arris TG1682 on the 250/10 plan, and everything works great, with average speeds around 280/14. Is there any reason to take advantage of the Cox program for a free modem upgrade every 2 years, if everything is currently working better than expected (i.e. other than getting a newer modem)? Thanks for the input...

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If it ain't broke...

If you're satisfied with your service, I would not change anything.

Why are you eligible for a free upgrade?  Are in renting the modem (Panoramic)?  If it breaks, you could take advantage of the free swap.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

You will get better Wifi if you upgrade. The newest gateway, which I am unsure is eligible with the 250Mbps plan, is the Technicolor CGM4981 which is Wifi 6E. Has a 2.5Gbps port too if you ever upgrade to Gigablast.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Assumptioning if OP has 6 GHz NIC.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Even if they don't it is good to future proof. Also, even if they don't have the 4981 in stock, they should have the Technicolor CGM4331 which is still a big upgrade from the TG1682.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

do NOT change your modem! That 1682 has one of the BEST WiFi's of all the modems Cox is using!