Forum Discussion

springchicken
New Contributor
6 years ago

Fake cox email?

I just got this from:  Cox Support <noreply@coxsupport.net>

Dear client,

We're sorry to inform you that your Cox account will soon be limited due to a violation to our Terms of use. 

For more informations on how to prevent your account from being shut down, please contact our Support team, by following this link : 

My Account

Thank you for choosing Cox.

Cox Support Center 

3 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It looks fake.  For example, it has bad grammar and "informations" isn't a word.  It's typical of phishing email from overseas.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Also...

Lawfully speaking, Cox wouldn't use the phrase "...will soon be limited..."  Cox would use terminology within their Acceptable Use Policy, such as "immediate suspension or termination."

Cox doesn't have a communications policy named "Terms of use."

"...from being shut down..."  Again, Cox would use terminology within their Acceptable Use Policy, such as "suspended" or "terminated."

Cox doesn't have a "Cox Support Center."

Bad Grammar:  If Cox had a policy titled Terms of use, "use" would be capitalized.

Bad Grammar:  "...a violation to our Terms of use..." should be "...a violation of our Terms of Use..."

Bad Grammar:  "...contact our Support team, by following this link..." contains a superfluous comma.

It looks fake but wouldn't it be funny if Cox actually sent this?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Don't click the link.  However, what's its exact URL?

I did a DNS lookup and COXSUPPORT.NET has errors with its DMARC and DNS records.  It also looks like it was registered in Vietnam (.vn).