Forum Discussion

Raskie
New Contributor III
3 years ago

Error Codes 16 & 24

Anyone have an idea of what’s going on?  I’ve had a rock solid connection for months now and suddenly yesterday this started.  Constant Event Code 16 & 24 notices appearing in my Event Log and thousands of uncorrectable errors.  These screenshots were taken about 2 minutes after resetting my modem (Netgear CM1200).  This hasn’t had a huge impact on performance,YET, but it has me concerned.

6 Replies

Dave9
    Contributor III

Event code 16 is OFDM Profile Failure and event code 24 is OFDM Profile Recovery. When you see code 16 followed shortly by code 24, that means there was a brief burst of noise on the line that caused some minor errors so the modem temporarily switched to a more robust OFDM profile then switched back to the original profile after the noise was cleared up.

If you're occasionally seeing event code 16 for profile 3 that's nothing to worry about. No cable line can resist all noise. If you're starting to see event code for profile 2 or 1, that means the noise is getting worse. Event code 16 for profile 0 means that OFDM failed completely and that would be more of a problem.

Judging from number of uncorrectable codewords shown and the T3 timeout in the logs, you appear to have a problem with noise on the line. But the real things you want to be looking at are the T3 timeouts and uncorrectable codeword counts. The event code 16 is the least of your worries.

BenS1
    Former Moderator
    Hi @Raskie
    I do see a few timeouts on your modem. Are there any splitters or amplifiers that are connected to the coaxial that is screwed into the back of your modem? If so can you please bypass any splitters/amplifiers and plug it directly into the wall from the modem?

Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Raskie
    New Contributor III

There are no splitters or amps before or after the modem.  It's a straight run from the pole to my modem.  The drop was replaced about 3 months ago and all has been good since then, up until yesterday.

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      @Raskie,

Thanks for letting me know. Is your placed on the floor or in a cabinet? And is it plugged into a surge protector is it is plugged directly into the power outlet in the wall?

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Raskie
        New Contributor III

Modem is located on a shelf, in the open, with plenty of air flow.  It’s plugged directly into an AC outlet.