Forum Discussion

rampart51
New Contributor II
7 months ago

EMAIL Account might be blocked

The only way I can send email is using COX Webmail....I can receive mail. I use Thunderbird on my PC and Blue Mail on my mobile phone. Can't send from those apps. Even though I changed no settings, I doubled checked and they are fine. This has been going on for a couple weeks. I have two COX email address's and neither can send email.

Could someone from COX PLEASE check to see if my account is blocked for some reason. I do not want to put my email userid here but I think support can look it up.

Thank you.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

This is a user helping user forum. Have you tried contacting Cox? Also, what error do you get when you try to send? Last, any VPN or are you sending off Cox network?

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Here's what you need to do to fix the issue. 

1. if you are using a VPN, turn it off.
    2. delete everything in the outbox of every device you use in your home, tablets, cell phone, computers, etc etc, and wait SIX hours. (I would wait 7 actually). If you are on a 6 hr lockout, every time a device tries to send something in the outbox, it resets the 6 hr lockout. 
    3. Test the computer first, but creating a NEW email, and use TESTING in both the subject line, and the body of the message and see f you can send it to yourself, if you can, you're cleared. 
      rampart51
      New Contributor II

I am NOT using a VPN.

I have 4 devices. None of them have anything in the OUTBOX's.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. This same thing happened a while back and magically it fixed itself. 

rampart51
    New Contributor II

My understanding was that COX moderated this forum and could help with issues. I did call COX support and they told me I had to pay more per month to even discuss this. Such BS.

I am not using a VPN when I send email. I'm a very experienced PC tech and I've been through all the settings. Nothing has changed except when I changed my password after getting : 

Login to server smtp.cox.net with username (myuserid) failed.

Next message :

Sending of the message failed.
    Unable to authenticate to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.cox.net. Please check the password and verify the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing server (SMTP)'.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

If you are using apple devices, double check the outboxes, and then if setup as imap, delete and re-add the account. Make sure you do it in the morning, so the mailserver hasn't seen you try to send anything in over 6 hrs. BUT - Like I said, double check the outboxes, because unless you manually deleted the unsent mail, it's still sitting in there. 

Use SSl and port 465, make sure if using thunderbird or a microsoft outlook, you select the setting for, "My outgoing server requires authentication"