Forum Discussion

lawson17
New Contributor
16 days ago

DOCSIS 3.1 not showing up with new SB8200

So....

Everything was working fine on a Arris CM8200A DOCSYS 3.1.  All good.

Then I had connectivity issues, which started with Cox telling me it was an issue on my end and I should upgrade service (more money).  The issue ended up turning into outages over the next two days.  Still could not connect.  One service no show and then the second service call.  The second service call was quite good. Checked and replaces something at the curb, replaced some cables, a bunch of ends, a couple splitters, checked signal all over the place and said it was spot on.  When all was said and done, my modem was dead.  So I ran to the store and got a SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1.  Hooked it up, got it registered.  

It's working, I have internet, but no DOCSIS 3.1. 

I did find this article: Not receiving DOCSIS 3.1 | Cox Community, although not much help

Been on that stupid Cox App, that keeps dropping chats, for hours a day over a few days.  It should not be this hard or take this long.

I was told twice (once by CAG) to call the manufacturer because Arris needs to address/configure something and the problem is with the modem.  I have called a number of times.  Arris states that there is nothing to configure in the modem and it is dependent on the signal from the ISP.  If it is getting a signal, then it is working.  This makes sense to me.  I did reset the modem twice with that little switch.  Cox has reset it at their end.  Cox tells me they have re-provisioned the modem like it was a new one again.  No improvement.

I know we have had historic problems with service.  On neighbor says he is running an old DOCSIS 2.0 (so he says) and his wife complains that it drops her VPN quite often, and I have another neighbor that is similar to ours, it drops about once or twice a week, usually on the same day.  Sometimes cable tv gets pixelated but when reported, apparently that is the signal Cox received.  

From all this I feel like I know where the problem lies, but Cox keeps pointing me in other directions.

Any ideas on how to get my DOCSIS 3.1 working correctly? Please let me know.

2 Replies

• Hello, I am very sorry you have not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!