Forum Discussion

YaitsBilly
New Contributor
5 years ago

DMZ or Reserved IP

I run a home server, and I've configured the IPv4 address on the machine directly and on the router side gone to connected device and set that computer to the same reserved IP instead of DHCP. I have port forwarded as well and on the computer opened the ports. Would I see any benefit to do DMZ instead and just use the computer firewall for port management? Server is mainly for a Minecraft server and Discord bots. As of now I don't have any connection issues, but noticed a few spikes and high pings but nothing unplayable, currently I have the 300Down and 30Up plan.

2 Replies

CalebDaltyn
    New Contributor

I would say it depends on how concerned you are about security, and how complicated you want your setup to be. If you make sure all the unnecessary ports are closed and only the ones that pertain to your services point to your internal server you would probably be fine, especially if it's just for personal usage.

YaitsBilly
      New Contributor

I’m good with doing ports on router and computer side. I’ve noticed the computer locks up randomly, I use the server to host a Minecraft server and the server side stays fine but remoting in via RDP with stall for about 15secs randomly. Wondering if it’s a port/connection issue.