Forum Discussion

CIFUN
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Device not showing up on hard wired port(s) of Panoramic modem.

I have a Cox Panoramic Modem model CGM4140COM that I have been using with an in home router plugged into ETH1 port for months with no problem.  The modem is 172.17.18.1 and the router is given a static address of 172.17.18.2.  The DHCP range is 18.2 to 18.253 with mask of 255.255.255.0. 

I tried to hook another machine to ETH2 with a static address of 172.17.18.3 and it does not show up in the list of connected devices. It works, it just does not show up in the Connected Devices list. From 18.3 I can ping 18.2 and 18.1 just fine.  From 18.2 I can ping 18.1 and 18.3 just fine.  I can't ping from 18.1 because the Cox box does not have that feature.

If 18.3 does not show up in Connected Devices then it can not be used to set a port forward since it uses a pull down list populated with only connected devices.  I'm trying to set up a port forward to that specific device while retaining the port forwards I already have working on 18.2. 

5 Replies

CIFUN
    New Contributor II

I forgot to add: If I swap ETH1 and ETH2 the 18.2 device still shows up just fine, but the 18.3 still does not.  That seems to eliminate a dependency on which port is used.

bearone2
    Contributor III

with pano unit, i have both samsung tv's connected to wi-fi for tv updates.

pano unit doesn''t show as wired in cox/my wifi.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

ETH2 is a switched port at Layer-2...so whatever is connected doesn't get an IP address.

CIFUN
      New Contributor II

Both devices hooked to Pano ETH1 and ETH2 have a fixed IP address.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

From what i remember of the 4140, the second port is reserved for either Homelife, Link Aggregation, Layer-2 networking or it was just dead.  Meaning, it's wasn't a fully-functional IP port.

If Panoramic is assigning an IP address to whatever device is connected to ETH2 and this device also has Internet connectivity, this is something new for the 4140.

Where is this pulldown list of connected devices...on Panoramic?