Forum Discussion

Meanslickjim
New Contributor
2 years ago

CoxWiFi SSID Hotspot gone? or not working anymore? London Bridge and Potters in Virginia Beach, Va?

CoxWiFi hotspot gone? or not working anymore? Ive been using CoxWifi SSID from right in the middle of the neighborhood on Cheltenham Dr. Virginia Beach, va for about 2 years pretty consistently. About 11:30 am on 4/26/23 it stopping working and couldn't connect to it anymore but still saw the CoxWiFi SSID. I would try to connect but it would say cant connect to this network. About 2 days later the CoxWiFi SSID disappeared completely and as of yesterday is still not up. Since this has happened I have noticed a CoxWiFi SSID that is Secured meaning needing a password to connect to it (Not the normal connect log in through cox on browser). I would think this isnt an official Cox SSID as they are all open to connect to and you just log in through browser. Is it possible that that is a legit Cox SSID and I need a password to connect now? Where would I get this password. Im a preferred plan internet customer and I can connect to other places when out and about in other areas. If this can be fixed that would be appreciated if not I just need to know so I can find other options.

Just another thought that might help figure this out. Looking at the hotspot map. Ive had to aim in the direction of the Better Horse Inc. at 268 London Bridge rd. I dont know if thats where I was picking up the hotspot from though obviously. Just noting that I had to aim in that direction before I ever saw/knew of the map. I have checked my wireless equipment and all is working so its certainly the hotspot not working anymore.

I have read in these forums that others were able to get the hotspots to reset but dont know if thats whats required here but hopefully this is a simple fix. I would greatly appreciate some help on this.

Thanks in advance. Jim

29 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      Lovemylab
      Contributor III

Fascinating! Any idea what an "Indoor Hotspot" really is? I understand the Wi-Fi clusters, which is the only approach I was familiar with. Do folks volunteer/sign up to put them in their homes?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

All Panoramic gateways put out a Cox Wifi SSID for hotspot access. You can disable it though. See here.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Could be someone disabled their Cox Hotspot and named their normal(encrypted) Wifi by the same name. Looks like mostly houses if I check the map so I am assuming it's someone modem broadcasting the signal. Try emailing Cox at cox.help@cox.com and asking for a reset. If it's public hotspot, they can do it but I don't think they can if it's someone's modem/gateway.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Cox also has outdoor wifi setups, that do not depend on the pano modems. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Yup, I knew that, however I suspect in this case it's a Pano modem.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox Hotspots will "recognize" a device for only two years.  After two years, you have to sign-in again to reauthorized the device.

• Been really busy and hadnt been over there till 2 days ago and finally back to normal. Ironically like my truck once I buy something for it and so I bought some nice directional antennas. Hasnt even gotten here yet but all is working again so Im all good in case I need them later. Thanks to everyone.

• Cox WiFi hotspots are customer's gateways that COX uses at the same time as a hotspot. If you don't opt out in privacy settings on the website, other people can/are using your gateway connection and bandwidth. 

COX does not have special wifi stations set up, you were on someone's gateway, lol.

Very few people seem to know this and wonder why their internet is so slow at times. It's also why you see weird hidden SSIDs with almost the same mac address.

(THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER,)

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      COX does not have special wifi stations set up, you were on someone's gateway, lol.

Not necessarily true. Cox Wifi is broadcast from both Panoramic gateways and on pole APs. You can find a map of them here.

• And its out again for the last 2 weeks. I can connect to but no internet. This time I got the Mac address 88-9E-68-81-F3-EF CoxWiFi SSID if that helps in resetting it? Found when you try to do the windows network help it creates a nice file with all the data points and connections and their mac addresses.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      88-9E-68-81-F3-EF

That MAC is registered to a Technicolor device, probably a Cox gateway. My guess is the customers gateway you are connecting to is having problems and loosing internet connection. When it does, the hotspot no longer offers a internet connection. I think you would be better off finding a Hotspot broadcast by a business or pole AP for your Wi-Fi. Use the map to find another one near you.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

What WMO said. Besides, if the customer decides to turn off the hotspot capability, you will be left hanging. Follow the directions WMO Provided.